Saturday, November 11, 2006

PANE ARABO


Of all the wonderful breads available in Sicily, I think pane arabo is my favourite: the name conjures up exotic images of Sicily's past and it is a very versatile bread which makes a good accompaniment to meals, can be used in salads and makes great sandwiches. If you are not familiar with Italy, you may not know that butter or margarine-type spreads are never used in sandwiches, though some are moistened with olive oil, and butter is never served with bread at the table. There are no bread plates or knives, either; you just break off what you want and let the crumbs fall on the tablecloth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Margarine is VILE.

If butter is never served at the table, do they serve olive oil? Some Italian restaurants here serve a little plate with a mixture of olive oil and vinegar.

But I can't eat bread anymore, so for me, the point is moot.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Bonnie. Yes, olive oil is served.

Anonymous said...

It looks scrummy, and I bet it tastes wonderful with olive oil, vine tomatoes and olives.

I love their casual al fresco way of eating too.

Liz Hinds said...

I adore bread; it is my downfall, weight-wise. (I do like lots of salty Welsh butter on it too!)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee. Yes, it's lovely served like that. So simple but so delicious! Liz, that takes me back. When I was a child and we lived in Bristol and then London, every time we went "home" to Wales on holiday the first port of call for my Dad and me was Cardiff Market to get some Welsh, salted butter. There's nothing like it!

Mark McLellan said...

One thing that bugs me about UK restaurants is the way they whip the bread away as soon as you have finished your starter. Like there is some rule that says you are not allowed bread with your main course and if you didn't finish it then tough. Italians leave it there for the whole meal, sensible. Also one Italian explained this to me as "If bread is on the table, then God is with the meal".

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Mark. Yes, that irritates me, too. And the way they ration the bread!!

Counters


View My Stats