Thursday, November 23, 2006

PANCETTA



Although it is extolled by TV and other chefs in Britain, I never thought much of pancetta [Italian cured bacon] as an ingredient when I was there. For most recipes, I felt that British streaky bacon could do the job better. But the pancetta available here is a completely different story as it is excellent: cubed, it makes a good addition to beef-based casseroles, in particular, and imparts a delicious flavour to pasta sauces. Sliced, I like to use the smoked variety to wrap around chicken thigh fillets which I will have filled with lemon and herbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so fatty, do they not have a leaner version?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well, I suppose the answer to that is that you don't need to use much of it.

Maria said...

Looks delicious even un cooked! There are many many chefs here on tv that love using pancetta. If only it was easy to find here. What do you think of Jaime Oliver? *(the naked chef) I love him and think him and Nigella Lawson another favorite chef of mine are simply terrific! I love cookbooks... welscakes... when are you coming out with yours? ~M

Counters


View My Stats