Tuesday, November 07, 2006

OLIVE SCHIACCIATE

- or "bashed olives". This is Linda's treatment for freshly picked olives:

Bash the olives [not too enthusiastically] with a stone, rolling pin or whatever you have to hand. Don't do this near a clean wall or with your best clothes on as they squirt everywhere. [I have just found this out to my cost.] Put them in a plastic container, cover with water and add a handful of coarse seasalt. You should change the salt and water solution twice a day for 10 days. Then put them in vinegar and water [about a quarter vinegar to water] for 24 hours. After that, rinse them. They can be frozen in bags at this stage if you have a lot of them. When you are ready, put the olives in jars and add the flavourings of your choice - people here like to use chopped carrots, red pepper and garlic - then cover with olive oil.

So now I feel truly Sicilian as I've got a bucket of olives in brine on the balcony! [Linda says watch out for the magpies, who adore them at the vinegar stage for some reason.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bashed olives. That's something new for me. I guess they would be used in a salad or on a pizza or something else?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Steve. They could be used in those ways but are more likely to be served on their own as an antipasto here.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good.

Counters


View My Stats