Thursday, September 30, 2010

ITALY MAGAZINE ROUND-UP - 16



Here is my pick of last week's Italy Magazine articles:

On September 20th we explored the reason why there is a via XX Settembre in every Italian town, then we headed to a town near Turin, the first capital of united Italy, to find out why a mysterious character from  French history is remembered there every year:  the reason is that the Man in the Iron Mask spent some of his long years of imprisonment  at Pinerolo, the "most French town in Italy".

A news story which impressed me was this one about the Comune of Milan's efforts to spot and ban anorexic models from Fashion Week.  Let us hope that these young women also receive the help and support they need.  The saddest story of the week was the loss of the great actress and comedian Sandra Mondaini just five months after her husband Raimondo Vianello's passing but for her, it seems, death came as a friend.  If you thought that denim jeans were invented in France it is time to think again and the whackiest story of the week has to be this one.  Finally, in the news section, if you've ever been at a loss as to how to use up those euro notes when leaving Italy here is the answer.

For my Patti Chiari column, I wrote about carob and included a traditional recipe.  Take a look to find out why carob is the gold of Sicily.

Happy reading.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Buongiorno e benedizioni, Pat and Simi. I'm not sure what I just said, but it sounded good to my ears.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very nice to have your blessings, Nick.

Claude said...

As always, very interesting round-up. I have never used carob. I intend to now. It's always fun to try something new. Amazing what we discover on the Internet when we go at the right place. Thank you!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Claude. Yes, always something to learn from the internet!

Counters


View My Stats