Wednesday, September 15, 2010

SCHIACCIATA ALL' UVA NERA

I've always wanted to make one of these - a sort of sweet, grape bread - so at the weekend I did, only I used red instead of black grapes as red grapes were what I had.




The recipe is in this month's Alice Cucina and is very simple:  just flour, yeast, grapes, sugar, olive oil and salt.  And I do like doughs that you don't have to roll out!  If you really have the pazienza or are feeding people who cannot tolerate the seeds, you could halve the grapes and deseed them.  In olden days Italian women would have sat outside in groups to do this while exchanging the gossip of the day.

10 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Looks tasty ..:-)

annechung said...

Looks really good, maybe I'll try making it one day.

Unknown said...

I'll have mine with seedless grapes, please.

Betty said...

I think I would enjoy that bread since I love grapes, but I'm not sure about the rest of my family. You made me think of something. When we lived in Sicily the women would sit outside on the sidewalk with their backs to the street. We were told that only prostitutes would face the street and that is why they chose to sit that way. Of course, this was 40+ years ago and I would imagine times have changed over there too, but do any of them still do this?

Kathleen Gwinnett said...

It looks wonderful. I guess I could just add sugar to my bread recipe. All the ingredients are the ones listed. We can use seedless grapes?

Whispering Walls said...

What's better with it - tea or wine?

James Higham said...

Red grapes would be very nice with it.

jams o donnell said...

!That looks so delicious

CherryPie said...

That looks really interesting. I have not heard of grape bread before.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Anne. Hi, annechung. It turned out well. Ok, Nick! Hi, Betty. That's very interesting. I will try to find out if they still do it. Hi, Kathleen. Yes, you can use seedless grapes. Hi, WW. Oh, definitely wine, I should think. Hi, Jmaes. Yes, it worked well.

Counters


View My Stats