Wednesday, September 01, 2010

"A RED HAT WHICH DOESN'T GO"


Just over a year ago, before Italy "shut down" for the summer, I showed some women students Jenny Joseph's poem Warning.  I wanted to leave them with something pleasant, they were linguistically ready to read such a work and I think that women from all cultures can relate to the poem.  Warning was voted Britain's favourite post-war poem  in a 1996 BBC poll. 

It's always nice when students remember a cultural insight you have given them so I was delighted when, just before this year's recess, a student from the same class brought me an article about the poem from DLa Repubblica delle Donne, a Saturday supplement for the newspaper's women readers.  The article's author laments the fact that there is no Red Hat Society in Italy and wonders why.

I think the answer is quite simple:  you will have no trouble getting an Italian woman to wear a red hat, but you will never, ever get her to wear a purple dress with it.


9 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

"Bloody Hell..." i LOVE that expression, Pat, and letting your Mom know how much you still miss her needs to be quick to the draw. Yes, indeed, we do miss our parents at any age.

Now, on the Red Hat Society: it goes to show that Italian women are way too vain to don something against their sense of style. Besides, I thought all Italian women were never meant to age at all, but maintain their classic beauty in perpetuity.

Aren't you glad you can stand aside and see this entire foolishness?

(I'm a good eight years older than you, and wouldn't get caught dead with silly hats and purple gowns in the middle of the day.)

Ellee Seymour said...

That's a hat for Ladies Day at Ascot.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, lakeviewer. Love your new pic! Yes, we always miss our parents and I don't think people talk about this enough. Italian women would never wear such a silly combination, it's true and they do age well. Oh, yes, I am very glad.
Hi, Ellee. Provided you don't have to get through any doors!

Leslie: said...

LOVE that hat but I'd look silly in it whereas Sophia just gets more and more beautiful as she ages. I've seen some groups of "red hat ladies" gadding about here a couple of times and I wish I had their guts! :D

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Leslie. Sophiais beautiful anyway, but let's not forget that she can afford to pay for anything that "helps"!

Unknown said...

Italian women have excellent fashion sense.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

They do, indeed, Nick.

LindyLouMac said...

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.

I have loved this poem for so many years, it was great to see you use it in a post.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, LindyLouMac.

Counters


View My Stats