Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A NEW YEAR'S DAY LUNCH





Irma, who is a very refined cook, invited me to a fabulous lunch yesterday. First she served champagne and canapés of foie gras which she had brought from France, then antipasti of this elegant salad and dressed mushrooms; next came her pasta al ragù bianco [the recipe for which I will post when I secure it from her!] followed by her fillets of veal in a cream sauce. I've shown you this dish before, but am putting a picture of it on the next post anyway. Finally [also on the next post] you may behold my own contribution to the feast, made at Irma's request: I tell Italians it's a semifreddo di limone because it has that sort of texture but it's actually the much missed Jennifer Paterson's "Suffolk Lemon Pudding", from her Seasonal Receipts book. It tastes better here than when I used to make it in the UK, because of the quality and freshness of the lemons. The Italians laugh at me when I am turning it out of its container as, once I've dipped the bottom of the tin in hot water and loosened the edges of the dessert with a knife, I make them all pray! As you see, the prayers seem to have worked yesterday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped off at Sandringham in Norfolk yesterday with my family and you would not believe how awful the food was, how expensive, and this is the Queen's estate. I just don't know why we accept such second rate food in this country, you always seem to tuck into a banquet fit for a king, but I doubt the Queen would like the food served to us lesser mortals at her tourist restaurant.

Anonymous said...

WL, my mouth is watering and it's after 11 at night here. Looks so good.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Glad you like the look of these, Steve. Hope you had a good night's sleep!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, my, your food always looks sooo good. I'm guessing the portions weren't as big as the plates?!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, Liz. Not quite - not quite!
Happy 2007.

Counters


View My Stats