Friday, September 21, 2007

KEEPING YOU ABREAST..



.. of the trivia of my day to day life in Sicily:




Still feeling melancholy and not really knowing why, I strolled down the street in my white linen dress [for the weather is beautiful now] and red accessories this morning. "Signora, you are pretty like a daisy", said the elderly gentleman who sits outside the greengrocer's in his wheelchair; at least, he does now that they have reopened. I don't know where they have been all summer and I've been quite worried about the elderly gentleman, wondering if perhaps he'd died and I wouldn't have known. Death notices are displayed on a special board outside the church and, as I don't know his name, if one regarding him had been among them, it would have meant nothing to me. I was cheered by the compliment but even more cheered, not to say relieved, to see him again. Later a wink from Raffaele the hairdresser and I was set up for the day.




This afternoon panic set in as I thought I had lost my "Sicily" pendant. This was given to me by two friends here twelve years ago, so that I would "always have Sicily close to my heart". And so I do, only it ended up a bit lower down today! Coming back with Simi from our walk, I suddenly "felt" that I didn't have it on any more, and, placing my hand on my neck, realised I was right. There was no sign of it as we retraced our steps, so a frantic search of jewellery box, dressing table, sides of sofa and chairs ensued. Then I "felt" something again. I looked down and there it was, inside my bra! This is not the first time something like this has happened to me: some years ago I was travelling back to the UK from Sicily and, during the flight, realised I no longer had on a locket which my mother had given me for my twenty-second birthday. Another frantic search took place as soon as I got home but it was not until I was getting ready for bed that I found it; yes, there it was again! I must have travelled all the way from Catania to Cardiff thus. Sometimes there is something to be said for not being skinny! By the way, that's bubble-wrap I've stuffed in there for the photo!

14 comments:

JayBee said...

At the risk of being rude and crude, did you feel a right tit when you thought you had lost the pendant?

I know that was unnecessary but ....


Also, I couldn't find the post about your mother to which you referred in your comment at my place. Can you give me the address?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the time you found me in your bra?? ;-))

jmb said...

That is a seriously elegant bra Welshcakes, but surely you didn't wear that one under the white dress?

Glad you found both the pendant and the old gent again.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

CC, yes, indeed I did! I'll find the post address and add it as a comment on your blog.
Mutley, how could I forget? "And a nightingale sang in Berkeley Square"...
Jmb, caught me out! It's a new bra! You don't think I'd parade one I'd just worn on the internet, do you?! Strangely enough, though, a lot of the otherwise most elegant women I know here wear black bras under virtually see-through white clothes. I never have worked that out....

Sharon said...

Pretty fancy undergarment. I think you have another side to your story!!!!

jan said...

You seem to have a few more dog fans these days - Tobias sends his love and was quite astonished by your headline! :-) Made me laugh!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Not that I know of, Sharon! Hi, Jan. Yes, Simi is amazed at how many doggy-bloggy friends she has now! We both send love to Tobias .xx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I'm really quite bra-illiterate (apart from the clasp, of course) but the idea of 'bubble-wrap' seems quite appropriate.

Eurodog said...

WL,
Now that you have shared your bra with us, I had no choice but to award you the awesome dude award.
Please visit my blog.

Ellee Seymour said...

It is important to dress as beautifully underneath as on the top,which you obviously do. We all have melancholy days, just remember your friends are here for you.

Ellee Seymour said...

Mutley can dream on, I think...
He does make me laugh.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jcn. Nothing else seemed to work! Eurodog, I am honoured. Thank you. Thanks, Ellee, on both counts. Mutley is a real tonic - without the gin!

Beyond Survivor said...

CalumCarr - LMAO
Mutley - OOOOO

Very chic :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Jan. Mutley, sadly, is no longer with us but he will be remembered for his wonderful humour.

Counters


View My Stats