Wednesday, September 12, 2007

BREAKFAST BISCUITS


Italians never, ever come to visit you without bearing gifts so when the doorbell sounded about an hour ago and I buzzed in my friend Marco - "I was passing so I thought I'd come and see how you are" - he presented me with this tray of "breakfast biscuits", even though he refused any refreshments and was here for less than 10 minutes. At one biscuit per day with an espresso, these will keep me going for quite some time! They are very light - almost sponge-like in texture - and have a subtle vanilla flavour. And again, I am stunned [although I've been here over 2 years] by the freshness of Italian food. Usually biscuits are still warm when you buy them.

9 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

They look enormous! But how lovely. What a good tradition.

jmb said...

Do they say beware of Italians bearing gifts, as they do of Greeks?
How nice of him. They look like lady fingers, or langues de chat.

Those poor bakers work constantly all day, making the same things over and over, so they will be warm for you. They are very hard working, the Italians.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, they are rather big - but so light! Ciao, jmb. I don't think you could say that of Italians. Yes, I respect the bakers and so on.

Lee said...

I think that is a wonderful tradition and it is one that my friends and I do amongst each other.

I was taught as a child never to go anywhere empty-handed and I never feel quite "right" if I do.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. I was brought up never to go "empty-handed", too - and I never do.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

That is wonderful WL..yes jmb they do look like langues de chat, which I love, what a thoughtful tradition.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Anne. Yes, it's lovely, isn't it?

Maria said...

Those are one of my favorite biscuits. My father being a baker would be irked that I can not remember the name however... the one's made with lemon and icing are truly my absolute favorite!


What a wonderful town you must live in. I barely know the names of my neighbors.
M

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, M. That's one good thing about small towns!

Counters


View My Stats