Saturday, September 01, 2007

ANOTHER REOPENING





















Today I decided to have lunch at the Caffè Consorzio, as I had not been there since its August closure. Everything was beautifully presented and the chef was certainly on form! The plate of antipasti was complimentary, as was the strawberry, lemon and amarena ice cream so the €19.50 I paid bought me a primo of bresaola with grana cheese and rocket, a secondo of noce [best end] of veal with this little tortino of vegetables, all drizzled prettily with balsamic vinegar, bread, breadsticks, 2 gin and tonics and a mineral water - plus superb service and beautiful surroundings.












Looking at the olive tree in their garden , I realised that the olive harvest will soon be upon us.


















13 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What a fantastic meal...and with the sunshine and beautiful surroundings..what more could you ask for?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Anne. It was what I needed after feeling so gloomy for the past couple of weeks.

Chris said...

I'm so glad for you that some difficult weeks have passed, Welshcakes, and that some normality is returning to your life.

Probably the chef in Caffe Consorzio needed his break and has come back with renewed vigour!

jmb said...

Delicious looking lunch Welshcakes. I thought it looked like a lovely spot so I would have made a return visit too.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Chris. Yes, maybe he's feeling particularly creative at the moment! Jmb, you just have to come over and sit there with me! Auguri

Liz Hinds said...

A bargain indeed. And how delicious it all looks.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, great value for money.

Whispering Walls said...

Lucky you! September's such a fabulous month in Sicily: hope you have a great time.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, WW. Yes, autumn is when I think I gain from being here.

Maria said...

Life is looking belissima!~ Pardon my Italian I am sure my spelling is atrocious! It must be amazing to have fresh olives an the smells alone must be intoxicating!!!! How you do make me want to take the next plane to Sicily to find out! Thanks Welshcakes!!!!!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, M. There;s nothing like the olives we get here but they do take a lot of preparation to get the bitterest juices out: a lot of soaking in brine and changing the water twice daily before you can do the fun bit of flavouring them. But it's worth it!

fake consultant said...

the deep fried tomatoes are reminiscent of tempura (ironically, this article suggests the portugese impoted tempura to japan)...but tempura and balsamic seems like an exteremly interesting idea that i'm going to have to play with.

the "carpaccio" with cheese looks fantastic as well.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, FC. It's always interesting to learn where countries got their food traditions - I think we could learn a lot of our history from it, so thanks for that. Yes, the bresaola was fantastic.

Counters


View My Stats