Sunday, September 16, 2007

A SIMPLE LUNCH



I usually char peppers to make a contorno salad myself, but sometimes you find them ready-roasted in a greengrocer's, as I did, along with these roasted onions, yesterday. The smell indicated that they had been roasted in a wood-burning oven so I bought some. I quite like to eat the peppers as they are, but to make a salad from them you rub the skin off with your fingers, discarding the seeds if there are too many or they bother you. Then cut the peppers into strips - I use a scissors - put them in a dish and dress them with salt and olive oil, plus oregano, basil and a little paprika if you wish. You could also add capers.

You need the elongated peppers if you are charring the skin yourself: I have never had much success trying to do it with bell peppers and I find it much easier to use a ridged griddle pan for the job than the oven. I have never seen an Italian put them in a plastic bag or wrap them in a tea towel to loosen the skin after charring; if you have the right type of peppers and the skin is sufficiently blistered, it will come off easily once they are cool enough to handle.
A little salame, a contorno of dressed peppers, a tomato salad, some of the roasted onion [which tastes surprisingly sweet] and a little good, hard, Sicilian bread make a simple but appetising lunch.

8 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Welsh...I usually put the capsicums/peppers under the griller/broiler. Sometimes in the restaurant kitchens when I was cooking professionally, I would, for expediency I would throw them into the deep fryer for a few moments...that works well and very quickly.

These days I've become lazy and opt for the easy way often..when I want to use char-grilled capsicums/peppers,most times I buy them ready-to-use. It depends, of course, on the particular dish being prepared.

jmb said...

I've never seen charbroiled peppers ready prepared here, although obviously Lee has.
I love them just as they are and rarely charbroil them. Too much trouble, although I cook with gas so should try the ridged griddle method on top of the cooktop.
The simple lunch looks quite delicious and no trouble at all to prepare.
I put up my pizza post today, with a link to you. You won't like it but it's just my opinion.
regards
jmb

Anonymous said...

Thats a simple Lunch? I usually have a mars bar and a can of vimto...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, Lee. Yes, I can imagine that would work. Much easier when they are ready prepared, of course, but I don't see those often here. Hi, jmb. Off to see if I like it now! Buon appetito, Mutley!

Gledwood said...

i might try making that; looks well yummie

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Gleds. It's also quite fun to make.

Anonymous said...

I observe once more, WL, that you are a creative cook. More than that, you are an artist who creates delightful scenes with food - scenes that are meant to be eaten and look too good to do so. That is all meant as a compliment - a complicated one!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanka, Shirl. Compliment gratefully accepted!

Counters


View My Stats