Sunday, September 02, 2007

PASTA AL FORNO


There are times when only pasta al forno [oven-baked pasta] will do and there are as many recipes for it as there are cooks making it. I like to use William Black's recipe from his book, Al Dente, though, as with any recipe, I don't follow it to the letter: I add some slices of mild salame instead of using an uncooked Italian sausage and I leave out the hard-boiled egg ,which is supposed to help keep the filling together; so what if it crumbles a bit, in a dish like this? I truly think this is one of the great comfort foods of the world and Black tells the tale of a very elderly lady , from a village near Amalfi, who would choose it as her last meal.

14 comments:

GP said...

Ah ... that looks wonderfully comforting. it also looks like an excellent answer to the "what to eat in the event of a hangover" question!

DeeJay said...

Oh no, that has got my stomach rumbling and it's only 9a.m.

Whispering Walls said...

I'm going to try that! Have been bogged down in plum jam recently. Let me know if you know any good plum recipes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, UPM. Yes, I imagine it would be good in the event of a hangover and I must remember that! Sorry, Age! Ciao, WW. I love home-made plum jam. Plums make a good chutney, too. You could just adapt an apple chutney recipe. Ginger is a good spice to add.

James Higham said...

There are times when only pasta al forno [oven-baked pasta] will do

There is only one word - yum!

James Higham said...

Just saw your comments on plums and ginger too. Both are two of my absolute favourites.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, James. I think plums and ginger go very well together.

jmb said...

Since I like using my forno a lot I would like to know more pasta al forno recipes but I don't know very many. I'll have to check this out.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

jmb, I like using my "forno" very much, too. I'll email you some recipes.

Whispering Walls said...

Chutney's a good idea - thank you for that

SicilyGuide said...

I looks buonissima!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

A pleasure, WW. Grazie, TAT.

Maria said...

I have to agree another great comfort food and being the cheese girl I am I wonder have you tried it with smoked Gouda..... yum yum yum or smoked mozzarella???

Just a suggestion.....lol

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, M. Can't get Gouda here and I haven't yet found smoked mozzarella. I'd like to try it with the latter.

Counters


View My Stats