Tuesday, January 03, 2012

HOPES FOR THE NEW YEAR - A "LET'S BLOG OFF" POST



Every two weeks, the blogosphere comes alive with something called a Blog Off. A Blog Off is an event where bloggers of every stripe weigh in on the same topic on the same day. The topic for this round of the Blog Off is "What are you looking forward to in the New Year?"


Ever since I first came to Sicily in 1992, I've been fascinated by the way in which elderly people here, when asked how they are or even sometimes just for the sake of saying something, will sigh and utter, "Siamo qua" - "We are here".  It took me a while to figure out that they were not referring to their physical surroundings, but were really thanking God for the fact that they were still alive.  And that is pretty much how I am feeling this New Year.


Image: http://www.italymag.co.uk/


I know that some of my readers imagine that I live the "life of Riley" and it is true that I am happy in Sicily and would not turn back, even if I could.  But it may surprise you to learn that there is a situation in my life - partly of my own making and partly not - which has rendered me suicidal several times in the past year and it is my earnest wish never to feel like that again.

Some of my long-term readers will also know that, just over a year ago, someone who I thought had left my life forever suddenly came back into it - in the sense that we are in touch, that is - and I would love this to be the year of a reunion. Sadly, that seems a forlorn hope right now.

I've also been hurt by another man recently but, whatever I might write facetiously on facebook, I have no wish for revenge for I am old enough to know that, in the phrase my mother was fond of quoting, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord" and that what goes round tends to come round - eventually.

On a more positive note, I'd like to think that this is the year in which I'll achieve my ambition and write that book and for that you'll have to watch this space!

With regard to my adopted country, I hope it has a better year:  it was a brave step to appoint an unelected government of "experts" and I wish Mr Monti and his ministers every success.  However, the trouble with "experts" is that few of them, in my experience, are experts on how ordinary people have to live.

I also find myself with some contradictory feelings this New Year:  I hate sport and consider the Olympics a spectacular waste of money but I can't help hoping that my country of origin puts on a good show [given that we have to have it] and I of course pray that no terrorist threat or act will mar the occasion.  Staying with Britain for the moment, I am no monarchist or supporter of unearned wealth but I do think it's a bit sad that Her Majesty the Queen is expected to celebrate the death of her father this year and I wonder why her Diamond Jubilee could not have been celebrated next year upon the anniversary of the Coronation.  

Official emblem of Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth 11
by 10-year-old Katherine Dewar from Chester, UK


One event I am looking forward to is the Peace One Day Global Truce on 21st September 2012:  if we can stop war for one day, then why not for two or three or a year or forever? All it takes is for enough people to "Imagine".


http://www.peaceoneday.org/en/welcome


But most of all I hope that I will be granted more time with my precious thirteen-year-old dog, Simi and that this time next year I'll be able to say, "Siamo qua - We are here."


Simi as a puppy in the UK

John Lennon - Imagine



Below is the full list of bloggers participating in this theme:

11 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

May this be the year for wishes to come through!

Unknown said...

Pat I think you'll get that book worked on this year and I know that it will be a great year. Happy New Year for you and all the great things it will bring.

Whispering Walls said...

Sta brava, WL! Don't let the Black Dog get to you. Think of all the positives: the lemon blossom to come, the sunshine, your friends, the darling Simi. You have many blessings. The book sounds like a good project in which to channel your energy. Buona Fortuna!

Eddie said...

I hope you will have some people close to you to support and help you.

James Higham said...

That certainly covered some ground and thoughts are with you, of course.

Claude said...

What a beautiful, sensitive post! May you always be uplifted by the thought that your readers admire and thank you for what you share with us.

I'm 80 now, a little bit slower, a little bit grayer, but still enjoying the hours. I'm grateful I didn't give in to the dark idea of ending it all when, in the past, life dealt me painful blows.

I hope I'm still here, next year, to give my best wishes to you and Simi. You are both in my heart and prayers. God bless you!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, Rosaria. Thanks, Todd. I do hope so! Grazie, WW. I am trying! Nice to meet you, Eddie and that is very kind. Thank you. Thank you, James - I appreciate it. Dear Claude, Thsank you so much. Your understanding and encouragement mean more than I can say. xx

CherryPie said...

I am sorry that people have made you feel so low. People who play with anothers feelings like that, need to get a life.

Wishing you more positive experiences and thoughts for 2012.

*hugs*

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You are very kind, Cherie. Thank you. x

Liz Hinds said...

Before I read this post I was thinking how good health had returned to you after your clash with illness a few years back. After reading I'm still glad that you're looking so much better but sad to hear about your bouts of depression.

I pray 2012 will be wonderful for you and Simi, and that your hopes will be fulfilled.
xx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, that was a nasty bout in 2008 and it has made me much more careful of my health. I appreciate your kind thoughts and good wishes - thank you. x

Counters


View My Stats