Saturday, October 10, 2009

QUIZ: SICILIAN PROVERBS - 11

Match the proverbs or idioms 1 - 6 with their meanings a - f. For answers, highlight the space beneath where it says, "Highlight below for answers" - yes, really, they are there!
These sayings are all about health and I should warn you that, if you are feeling out of sorts, there are one or two which will not cheer you up!


myspace graphics

myspace graphics



1. Duluri di testa voli minestra.

2. Gamma a letto e vrazzu a pettu.

3. Hai un male? - Dillu a tutti.

4. Libbirtàti e sanitàti vàli ciù ri na cità.

5. Cacaredda a menza missa e causi a ghiruppu çianu.

6. Frevi autunnali o longa o murtali.

profile editor

profile editor



a. Are you ill? - Tell everyone. [Because then you'll be looked after.]

b. Liberty and health are worth more than a city.

c. A bad leg must be cared for in bed, and a bad arm across your chest.

d. A fever in autumn is either long or fatal.

e. If you have a headache, you need soup.

f. Diarrhoea half out and trousers tied tight. [A way of referring to unfortunate coincidences.]

Highlight below for answers:
1e, 2c, 3a, 4b, 5f, 6d.

myspace layouts

myspace layouts

10 comments:

Mary said...

Sorry, but I'm still completely bemused by answer F. even though you have tried valiantly to explain.

Peter @ italyMONDO! said...

Can't get enough of proverbs!!

Here are my answers....

2 - C
6 - D
3 - A
4 - B
1 - E
5 - F

The "Cacaredda" was a particularly interesting one... and new to me! :-P

Minnie said...

Class swot, here (got 'em all right) - finding these old words of wisdom a treat in so many ways, too. Love the idea of soup curing headaches (in fact, early hunger pangs often cause headaches) - along the lines of Jewish penicillin. And, of course, the soup in question must be made con amore!
Word verif is saying 'hunco';is it trying to tell me something by any chance ;-)?

Alex the Blogging Kat said...

Hi, Simi! I comeded by 2 sayz dat 2 u. OK?

Rowena said...

That #5 was a bit of a shock (in english). Just the visual aspect...oh dear!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Mary. I can only say, "Make what you will " of that one! Hi, Peter. I am glad you like them. All correct - well done! Hi, Phidelm. We can be fellow-swots! I always had my nose in a book at primary school but I made up for it in my wild student days! Well done. I think the word verif is telling you to go and get a "hunco". If you find one, can you ask him if he has a brother?

Simi says, "Hi, Alex, It's very nice of you to come by to say 'Hi' to me. You are a very sweet puddy-cat. I loves you. Woof!"

Hi, Rowena. Quite so!

Minnie said...

Hello, again, Patrizia - I've been on a 'hunco' hunt, as you rightly suggested (v good idea, thanks!). No luck, so far; but promise will add suitably hunco-rific brother/cousin/friend to my list. Distinti saluti!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi again, Phidelm. Well, get back out there and find one for yourself - and one for me!

Whispering Walls said...

Isn't it minestrone, rather than soup?!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Any soup or broth and even some kinds of pasta, WW.

Counters


View My Stats