Sunday, July 15, 2007

UNA TORTA


This was my contribution to a lunch party given by friends this afternoon: I must admit that, as I wasn't well yesterday I cheated rather a lot and bought the base of sponge layers as well as the crema pasticcera for the top . I "improved" the sponge layers slightly by pouring some Maraschino liqueur over and letting them steep for an hour or so before spreading the crema pasticcera [confectioner's custard] over the top, arranging both fresh and some canned fruit on this and glazing it all. Here you can buy a glaze called tortagel, which you just add sugar to and boil so there's no need to muck around with arrowroot or to heat and sieve apricot jam. As you see, the cream I piped around the edges kept falling off in the heat so in the end I took some whipped cream with me and squirted it on just before serving. That nearly fell off too but nobody seemed to mind!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering. Looks very good.

jmb said...

Sounds a bit like Zuppa inglese to me. I'm sure it tasted delicious. I don't find the arrowroot business too bad, here everyone uses cornstarch but I search around for arrowroot. Since you have to heat the tortagel anyway. Well if you say it's easier it must be.

Lee said...

That looks delicious, Welsh...and there's nothing at all wrong in a little cheating! Take my word for it!

I hope you've feeling better than you were...maybe the heat is playing havoc with you...make sure you keep drinking lots of water.

Chris said...

Delicious -doesn't matter if the cream falls off (as long as it doesn't fall on the floor!)

Ellee Seymour said...

I don't blame you cheating a bit - bon appetite!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Steve. I'll make one for you and your wife if you come over! Hi, jmb. Can't get arrowroot here - or, at least, I've not found it. I suppose the tortagel is easier only in that you don't have to measure it! Thanks, Lee.. my foot injury plays up now and then. I don't know why as it happens in the heat and in winter. We have the heat again today and I drink lots of water and fruit juice - and some of the good stuff, of course! Hi, Chris. No, luckily it fell on the table! Grazie, Ellee.

Counters


View My Stats