Tuesday, September 01, 2009

SILK SURPRISE


Two years ago I helped a neighbour's daughter with her university research on teacher evaluation in the UK. I was glad to help and refused to take the payment that she offered. Since then, she has brought me a little gift whenever she returns to Sicily from Torino.

Yesterday, just as I was feeling at my lowest, she presented me with this beautiful, pure silk, Italian wrap. [She had no idea of the significance of the date for me and I didn't tell her.] Isn't it lovely and wasn't it strange that, having been home since the beginning of July, she chose yesterday to bring this gift?

That's the second pleasant surprise during this period of the anniversary of Mum's passing: I'd mislaid a treasured photo of Mum [not the picture in yesterday's post] and, as I thought I'd searched everywhere and it had been missing for some time, I was beginning to fret about it and feel guilty. Then, quite by chance on Saturday, I happened to open my Great Aunt Mabel's Victorian keepsake box - and there it was! I must have put the photo there to keep it safe until I could find a suitable frame.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Buon Giorno Welshcakes,
That is a stunning scarf :)
That's especially wonderful to help a young person get a start for her career.

BTW; Anne is returning to London today ( she leaves at noon). I'm going to miss her company but I know that she will be back !

Have a great day :)

jams o donnell said...

What a beautiful gift. The keepsake box is lovely!

Whispering Walls said...

Thinking of you, WL

Lucia said...

That was nice of her! The keepsake box is beautiful.
hugs Lucia

Trubes said...

What a lovely gift for you Welshcakes and the timing could not have been better.
Should you still need cheering up, please have a look at my latest post...I keep looking for your valued comments!

Love to you and Simi from a very wet Liverpool!

Di.xx

James Higham said...

That was a beautiful gesture and at exactly the right time.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi WL Such a beautiful gift and as you say, couldn't of come at a better time for you. I am sure it cheered you up.

Back in the UK now, and Barbara I miss your company too.. We had such a blast!

CherryPie said...

How lovely to have two nice surprises just when you needed them :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Barbara. I think it's stunning, too. I'm sure you'll miss Anne. I wish I could have been there too! I think she is coming to Sicily next.
Hi, jams. Glad you like it.
Thanks, WW.
Hi, Lucia. Glad you like the box, too.
Hi , Trubes and thank you. I'll be over asap.
Quite so, Saretta.
Hi, Anne. Glad you had a safe journey back. I wish I could have been there!
Hi, James. Yes, it was indeed.
Hi, Cherie. Yes, it really cheered me up.

Nunyaa said...

A beautiful scarf and a Aunt Mabel's box is truly glorious. Both treasures forever.:)

Minnie said...

So glad to hear that your reward/beautiful gift heralded a serendipitous find: both lovely, and the box also. Hope your heartache was eased, Welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Nunyaa. I'm glad you like them both. Hi, Phidelm. Yes, finding the photo really helped and then the lovely thought from the young woman.

Counters


View My Stats