Friday, March 02, 2007

WELSHCAKES AND SALAME







That's "Welshcakes" as in Welsh cakes, not "Welshcakes" as in me! Sorry about the lack of posting over the past two days but I was either cooking or recovering! Since about 8.30 last night, I've been in what my friend Lee would call the "aftermath of the aftermath" stage and by 10 pm I'd decided that all I was fit for was sitting down with something seriously alcoholic - so I did.
Above you see my St David's Day table set for the buffet tea to which I had invited about fifteen friends, with, from the left: salame tarts, mortadella and Asiago bites, tea punch, Welsh rarebit muffins [at the back], bang-bang chicken and strawberry and Asiago bites. Oh, and I always put out some crisps or something as I am terrified of not having prepared enough food! Second photo, from the left: Welshcakes, mandarinetto cake [at front], chocolate cake [that's a C for "Cymru" on it] and the rest of the salame tarts, this lot topped with olive pâté and basil. I did make some hot tea as well for those who wanted it, in case you're wondering! And here I am "flying the flag" in the third picture.
Liz, the Welshcakes are the best approximation I can manage with the ingredients available here and using my testo romagnolo as a flat griddle. I didn't make bara brith [Welsh fruit cake] as Italians in general dislike dried fruit. In a country where the power goes off at the drop of a hat if you've got too many electrical appliances switched on, the prospect of making "real" Welsh rarebit, which is toast covered with a cheese sauce, daunted even me; besides, you want to be spending time with your guests, not faffing around in the kitchen. So when I was menu-planning, I thought, "There must be a way of making rarebit-flavoured muffins or buns" and sure enough, Nigella has a recipe for rarebit muffins. [Had I not found this, I would have made one up.] The ragusano cheese worked well in them. I have joined the ranks of British women here who complain that their cakes, muffins and buns don't rise in Italian ovens and I think it's to do with the humidity as well, for even a cake which has risen will sink before your very eyes as it cools. Never mind: "The proof of the pudding...." For the bang-bang chicken I adapted Elizabeth Luard's recipe: instead of steaming a whole chicken with ginger and spring onions tucked into it as she does, I poached boneless, skinless, chicken breasts along with these flavourings. I toned down the sauce a little for Sicilian tastes - but not much! The salame tarts are a Jill Dupleix idea but, rather than topping them with silverbeet as she suggests, I got the olive pâté brainwave. When you entertain and you don't have a partner to dispense drinks, keep everyone chatting and generally help out, you just have to think of ways to minimise your time in the kitchen once your guests arrive. This does mean thinking everything through for several days beforehand and it probably increases your preparation work, but I think it is worth it. By the way, Italians see no "shame" in using plastic plates and glasses: they'd think you were mad if you didn't when you invite a lot of people!
Well, the company was jolly, everyone partook of a bit of everything, we toasted Wales with Asti and for a few hours yesterday, strains of We'll Keep a Welcome, Cwm Rhondda and , of course, Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau rang out from a balcony over a small Sicilian street.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a star and a real treasure for Sicily, I hope they appreciate you.
Did you manage to find any daffodils, and did you recite Under Milk Wood, as I would for the whole day if I had a special Welsh friend to share it with, and the Welsh male voice choir would be serading too.

Anonymous said...

P.S. The food looks fantastic, I bet there weren't any leftovers. And bravo to you too for having the discipline to break away from blogging when other pressures demand that, I find it so difficult to do.

And you managed to look glamorous as well to welcome your lucky guests.

James Higham said...

Ah, St David's Day - now it's all clear. So that's what you've been up to. Bit slow on the uptake, me, despite the hint about Liz.

Anonymous said...

I think your timing is wrong on the comments, it's nearly 8pm UK time as I write this, let's see what it goes down as.

Liz Hinds said...

That looks fabulous, welshcakes! Glad you had a great day. I find I have become more - not patriotic exactly - more interested in and aware of my Welshness as I've grown older. I imagine it happens on moving away too. The hiraeth becomes stronger.

I currently have the Morriston Orpheus keeping a welcome, blasting visitors to my blog, but I'll make it optional soon!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ellee, you are too kind! A friend who came managed to find one daffodil and put it amongst some yellow and white gerboas, so that was lovely. A carpet of daffodils, such as you see in Britain, just won't be seen here. But I have a lovely "daffodil" necklace [which went skew-whiff when my friend took the photo] so that was something. And I've got a lovespoon brooch. Didn't recite "Under Milkwood", I'm afraid but I did treat them all to CDs of the male voice choirs! I did find it hard not to blog yesterday and most of Wednesday, but once I sit down at this computer, anything else has had it! So I just knew I couldn't start, as even the shopping takes much longer here. As for looking glam, a girl does her best! I always get my warpaint on early and make sure I use products that STAY on; then it's only a quick change of clothes that's needed just before guests arrive. Another thing I do is set the table early: that way you've got somewhere to put the finished food and it looks as if you're organised even if you aren't and are inwardly panicking! Hi, James. Sorry if I worried you! Ellee, yes, the comments timing is crazy. Is it US time on the comments? Does anyone know? I don't know how I could change it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, I think you're right : it's to do with becoming older and when you move away, although you become part of the new culture you want to keep your identity too. And you want others to understand it a little. I love the Morriston Orpheus and I think the music on your blog is great.
Btw, Ellee, I meant gerberas [I think!]

Shades said...

Have you considered therapy for your obsessive compulsive behaviour? ;->

Lee said...

I wish I had been in attendance, Welsh! Your table looks superb and I'm sure everyone enjoyed what you presented...I know I would have! i'm with you...I prepare everything in advance, too...none of this running around in the kitchen, tearing my hair out when guests are here...I want to partake in the fun around the dinner table! I hate to miss out in all the fun, so always get everything done in advance except for that that can only be done at the very last moment...and that means, putting on the table! ;)

There's nothing nicer than that special drink or maybe two...or three...after everyone has left. It's time to sit back, alone, and reflect on the great time had. I always think to myself, I don't know why I do these things and I'm never going to do it again! But I do!! ;) That's part of the fun of it all!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

IG, you may have a point there! Lee, I agree: that sigh of relief that it all went well and unwinding with a drink is part of it... At the end a friend said, "You've started a new tradition" and I thought, "Aaaarrrrgh!!" But I probably will do it again!

Ballpoint Wren said...

You look so pretty in your picture!

You know what, people out here expect you to entertain with paper plates, napkins and plastic utensils, too. They come right and tell you it's too much work to use anything else.

Not that I mind!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, Bonnie. You are kind. Yes, it would all be much too much work with loads of washing up as well!

sally in norfolk said...

Food looks fab....I must make some welshcakes this week...A bit of useless info but I lived at St Athan for many years which is near to cardiff..

Counters


View My Stats