Thursday, March 15, 2007

SAN GIUSEPPE


I have never seen the shutters and grille which usually hide this portrait of San Giuseppe open before, down in Modica Bassa and right next to the Caffè del Portico outside which I have whiled away many an hour, I assure you. Presumably the niche has been opened ready for the saint's day on March 19th. San Giuseppe is credited with having saved Sicily from famine: the fava bean is eaten and special breads are baked in his honour, altars of bread being created in some towns, most famously in Salemi [Trapani].

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks , Steve. That's a compliment, indeed, from a great photographer such as you are.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely pic, I think you are like me, you always have your camera in your bag just in case...

Lee said...

How wonderful! There is so much history. It makes me realise just how young a country Australia is.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee. I've usually got my camera with me but it often involves a fight with my handbag to get it in... I'd like a cameraphone but that would be more new tech stuff to cope with! Hi, Lee, young but exciting, I imagine. You've a very varied cuisine there, haven't you?

Counters


View My Stats