Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A BUREAUCRATIC BARRIER - EPISODE 2

Continuing yesterday's story, the landlord's wife came with me to the same bank today. [I was cursing all the way as it is cold by Sicilian standards, reader - 9C daytime temperature and icy pavements for the first time since I've been here, with rain and hail as well!] We asked to see the manager [I was so taken aback yesterday that I didn't even think of that!] and he told her exactly what the cashier had told me. She was as astounded as I was. The manager was full of apologies, but - pazienza - what could he do? [Arms flung up in the air gesture.] It was a new law, it had taken effect last month and they had been informed of it themselves very late. Winchester Whisperer asks about a standing order, but no, you are not allowed to set up one of these on someone's personal account either! It does seem, however, that I can make a transfer every month but it will have to be carried out manually each time - I can't just set it up and have done with it. Anyway, we asked what solution could be found for this month and , provided Mrs Landlord was willing to take two copious forms to Mr Landlord's place of work to be signed by him, she could come back and the money could be paid into his account "as if he had done it himself." So I waited while off she raced. Back she came, panting, after about twenty minutes and the transaction, for this month, has been completed. I'll worry about the next one a month hence!

9 comments:

Lee said...

Doesn't it make you mad when something that was simple gets change into something that's difficult!!!

It's the old saying..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
I like those making me feel better things in the sidebar. Were they there before and I didn't notice?
I wouldn't dare monkey around with my template yet. I am still learning how to add things to the sidebar. It took me forever to get a Blogroll, very embarrassing as people were adding me and I couldn't return the favour. Finally I found Blogrolling and assembled the roll quietly off line and then put it up all at once. Now I can add individually, thank heaven.
You didn't want to know all that, did you?
I guess a cheque is out for the rent.
Regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi again, Lee. Yes, I think that's what so maddening - it ought to be, and was, so simple!
Thanks, jmb. No, they weren't there before though some of them were written back in December and I didn't know how to put them on! That's one reason I had to update to the new layout thingamy. A nice computer expert a friend knows came and helped last night - I wouldn't have dared do it by myself! Congrats on being able to use blogrolling - I tried and gave up; I got as far as entering the links but couldn't get any further. Then another blogger told me how to enter the links by hand. So I DID want to know all that, you see! I don't think they like cheques much here!

Anonymous said...

Yikes ! I used to work for a bank, and was labouring under the delusion that 'money transmission' was one of their main functions !

Perhaps you should not bother paying the rent for a while, and just put the money in a safe. It may well be several months [years?] before the languid pace of business catches up with you...

Mind you, the British banking system may end up as convoluted..

Anti-Money Laundering legislation is making it necessary to be far more aware of transactions where people pay in large amounts of dosh - especially cash - because of the 'Proceeds of Crime Act', where the bank could lose it if they haven't taken enough care not to assist the criminal fraternity.

Anonymous said...

That cold weather is what we have also. Damn if they don't make things complicated.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, anon. Yes, I thought banks had something to do with money transmission too! That's as good a solution as any that you suggest!
Steve, hi, it's even colder today! Nothing like "Cold" is in Britain but the marble floors, etc., make it seem so! Italy just thrives on making life complicated!

James Higham said...

I'm enjoying this saga, whilst sympathizing with your plight. By the way, love the new format.

Whispering Walls said...

Thank you for mentioning my blog. I'm trying to do a blogroll according to your friend jmb's instructions and will certainly put a link to your blog which I love.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, James. You are always so kind. You, too, WW. I am adding you to my Limoncello list!

Counters


View My Stats