Thursday, July 23, 2009

QUIZ: SICILIAN PROVERBS - 4

Match the Sicilian proverbs 1 - 6 with their meanings a - f. [Where there is a very similar proverb in English, I have used this as the translation.]


glitters



Click Here For Myspace Graphics at GraphicsHunt.com
Donkey

1. Bisogna suffriri lu statu prisenti pri nun aviri lu mali avviniri.

2. Cu' havi terra, havi guerra.

3. Asino curciu 'n porta 'ngroppa.

4. Ama a cui t'ama, rispunni a cui ti chiama.

5. 'U Signùri rùna 'u viscuòttu a cu nùn'avi riènti.

6. 'A pignàta tàliata nun vugghi mai.


a. God gives biscuits to those without teeth.

b. Love the person who loves you, answer the person who is calling you.

c. He who has land has war.

d. A watched pot never boils.

e. You have to put up with your present circumstances to avoid bad times later.

f. A short donkey won't carry you on its back.
Highlight below for answers:
1e, 2c, 3f, 4b, 5a, 6d.

8 comments:

Minnie said...

Bonjour, Welshcakes - love these! Thank you.
1)e, 2)c, 3)f, 4)b, 5)a, 6)d.
My favourite is No. 4 ...
Probably going to limit blog to invites only. If so, will send email invitation (via ADei) in due course.
Bit fed up with silent visitors (very spooked by regular ones who never say who they are let alone comment!) + 1 potential troll, whose comments are becoming increasingly sarky.I stopped visiting T's blog; now T's nagging - yet (a) when I did visit, my comments were invariably respectful, and (b) it's obvious T's never read any of mine properly! Aaargh: enough on plate; don't need ... grouse, etc!
Have a great w/e, you.

Whispering Walls said...

4b is the easy one. 2c, 6d (I think), 3f, 1 e so 5 must be a (viscuottu = biscotti?). 5a is my favourite although cake is probably more enjoyable than hard biscuits if you have no teeth, or ice cream!

flutterby said...

Did I get anywhere close?

1e
2c
3f
4b
5a
6d

lady macleod said...

The short donkey may have his reasons... These are fun you clever woman you.

Liz Hinds said...

Yay! I got them all righth and I don't speak a word of Italian!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Bonjour, Phidelm. Six sur six! Do send me an invite if you go "invited only". I wouldn't worry about silent visitors - that's most of them for most of us! You know you can block anonymous comments and anyone who annoys or spooks you? I would try that first. Bon weekend et amitiés.
Hi, WW, 5 is my favourite, too.
Hi, Flutterby. All correct.
Ciao, Lady M. He might , indeed! Glad you had fun.
Brava, Liz!

Gledwood said...

When I have no teeth I think I'm gonna dunk my biscuits all the time...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Brilliant solution, Gleds!

Counters


View My Stats