Sunday, July 26, 2009

A PRETTY SALAD


I have my loyal commenter the Winchester Whisperer to thank for this recipe which she left in the comments here:

Here's a squash salad recipe for you - chop the squash into small pieces and roast in some olive oil in a hot oven for 40 minutes. Roast an olive oil smeared Romano pepper in it for 20 mins. Peel and de-seed the roasted pepper and chop into pieces. Allow all to cool. Mix with a tin of butter beans (or pre-cooked butter beans), some chopped coriander, some rocket. Add any dressing that you like et voilĂ !

With regard to skinning the peppers, I have watched many Italians doing this and I have yet to see one put the peppers in a plastic bag or teatowel once they have been roasted. They don't worry too much about getting every last seed out, either. Here's the way I do it: brush the peppers lightly with olive oil then roast them on an oven tray lined with oiled baking parchment for 40 mins at 200 C. Pick them up with a tongs and run cold water over them. Then just peel off the skin with your fingers. Scoop the seeds away with a teaspoon. If you use elongated peppers, that is half the battle. If you use bell peppers, it will take all day.

I left out the beans, WW, because I didn't have any and I'm not keen on them. I added some halved cherry tomatoes because I have a few to use up and I used a mixture of iceberg, rocket and basil leaves. I made a dressing using 3 tablesp olive oil, 1 of runny honey, the juice of 1 lemon, some oregano and a couple of squirts of my
chilli spray [to give it all a kick] plus seasalt and black pepper.

Many thanks, WW, and thanks to my friend Lucia for the squash.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a colorful and attractive salad. However, I never put that much work into salad making.

CherryPie said...

Those bright colours are so tempting :-)

Nunyaa said...

This looks beautiful, why haven't I come to visit sooner..:)

Whispering Walls said...

Looks good, WL. The Ottolenghi cookbook is a good investment.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Nick. It was a fairly leisurely process, really! Thanks, Cherie. I tried to comment on your blog last night but couldn't get in. Hi, Nunyaa. Lovely to see you. Are you all right? Thanks, WW. I will look the cookbook uo now.

Counters


View My Stats