Friday, July 24, 2009

AFA


I took this photo of the via Sacro Cuore thermometer at 16.30 today, so you can see we really are in an afa [heatwave] emergency. Whilst we swelter, grumble and have countryside fires in Sicily, the situation is even worse in Sardinia, where temperatures have reached 46 C and the island is beset by forest fires. A maestrale [Mistral] wind is expected to return later, rendering conditions more dangerous still. Here we are all advised not to go out between 11.00 and 16.00 and to keep drinking soft drinks, even when we don't feel thirsty. This is just the moment to have a water crisis, don't you think?

8 comments:

CherryPie said...

I don't think I could stand that heat!

sally in norfolk said...

wow ie never knew it could get so hot....unless in a sauna :-)

Leslie: said...

I couldn't stand that heat,either. There have been many forest fires here in British Columbia because of the heat and either lightning or foolish people dropping cigarettes in the kindling-dry forested areas. Friends of ours were on alert to be evacuated, but luckily the fires were contained in time. However, there were many who were evacuated and several homes destroyed.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Cherie. I don't think the Sicilians can, either! Neither did I befire I came here, Sally. Hi, Leslie. I'm glad your friends didn't have to be evacuated but so sorry for the people who were. We have a lot of fires here, too - some started by carelessness and some deliberately. I don't know how anyone could do that.

Minnie said...

E-TOU-FFANT! So glad water supply organised for now. Forest fires around Marseille causing devastation to dwellings as well as landscape - set off by French army on manoeuvres (hm. No comment). Otherwise southern Corsica's in flames (as ever - v probably deliberate) and le departement du Var (next door) is braced for possible incendies ...
You're marvellous to be coping with temp at that level (much over 30, and I'm flattened!).

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Phidelm. Just watched a news report on the fires in France. It must be terrifying. People start them deliberately here, too.

Whispering Walls said...

And it's still raining here....

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, send me some rain, WW!

Counters


View My Stats