Wednesday, July 15, 2009

QUIZ: SICILIAN PROVERBS - 3

Here I am, carelessly throwing my feminist credentials to the wind for this one! Match the Sicilian proverbs 1 - 6 with their meanings a - f:

myspace layouts

myspace layouts




1. Fimmina vana, non va cincu grana.

2. Bona maritata senza suocera e cognata.

3. Cui porta la mugghieri ad ogni festa, nun ci manchirà dogghia di testa.

4. Asini, donni e voi, nun t'alluntanari di li toi.

5. È bona donna, donna chi nun parrà.

6. La donna e la gaddina si perdi si troppu camina.

a. A good woman knows when to be silent.

b. Don't go too far away from your donkeys, women and oxen.

c. He who has no mother-in-law or sister-in-law has made a happy marriage.

d. He who takes his wife along to every feast will have plenty of headaches.

e. A vain woman isn't worth 5 grains [of corn].

f. Women and hens get lost if they walk too far.

Highlight below for answers:
1e,2c,3d,4b,5a,6f.

myspace layout codes

myspace layout

8 comments:

Minnie said...

Interval in France Television's broadcast of gorgeous prod'n of La Traviata from open-air Roman theatre in Orange (next best thing to being there). So time now for your amazing quiz senza gender bias, hem-hem ...
1. e; 2. c; 3. d; 4. b; 5. a; 6. f
Thanks for the fun and ciao-ciao, Welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Phidelm. Oh, I would love to see that! All correct and you get what one pupil of mine used to call a "Very beanz" - ["Can I have a very beanz, Miss?"] - a très bien.

jmb said...

Do I lose my creds too, because I know the answers? Too bad. They are only proverbs after all.

Minnie said...

Opera was magnifique! Patrizia Ciofi as Violette (but of course!) + fab new Italian tenor, Vittorio Grigolo (you have to pause prior to typing/saying that surname ...) as Germont fils. Latter not on top form vocally, but v impressive all the same (terrific looks + acting ability).
Thank you for my 'very beanz' - love the anecdote! - am chuffed, and head is duly enlarged.
Bonne journee, Welshcakes.
PS Frockshockhorror coming up on mine shortly - "the horror, the horror of it"!

Dragonstar said...

Hey - I got them all right! And I don't speak Italian. Now I'm feeling proud.
This was fun to try.

Whispering Walls said...

Those proverbs are hilarious. c is very poignant to me: even though I have an ex, late husband and am about to remarry, my "ex" mother-in-law is insisting that a)she will remain my mother-in-law (my fiance's parents are dead) and b)she will come to the wedding!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. I don't think you can lose your creds for knowing the answers! Hi, Phidelm. I'll look for those 2 on youtube. Glad you like your "beanz"! Over to yours shortly. Brava, Dragonstar. Glad you had fun. Hi, WW. I thought that about c when I included it - that it might be poignant for some. I feel like that when people grumble about their families, so I do understand. And why not, James?

jams o donnell said...

Got them but by a process of elimination!

Counters


View My Stats