Friday, July 03, 2009

MOUNTAINGIRL'S PHOTO CHALLENGE - FINERY


It's Friday already and that means it's time for my friend mountaingirl's Photo Challenge. This week's theme is "finery".

Finery to me means your best clothes and here's my paternal grandmother in hers:



Well, they may not have been her best to tell the truth, for right up to and including most of the 1950s, no woman would go out without donning a hat. The fur around her neck is something that, I am glad to say, a woman could not get away with wearing today - not in the UK, at any rate, and probably not of that type anywhere. Those dead things were worn as collars through the 50s too and I remember being scared half to death by them as a child.

And that neatly brings me to photo number 2. When I was a little girl, wearing your finery meant accessorising with a bonnet:



Finally, no apology for posting this photo again, as Simi demanded to be seen in her finery too!

12 comments:

James Higham said...

Don't you miss those days?

CherryPie said...

A lovely collection of finery. I am so glad that no-one wears furs like that any more too!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, James. Well, I miss being loved and protected as I was as a child but if you're asking if I miss an age of elegance the answer is yes, in a way. But it was only an age of elegance for the "haves". My mother, who remembered classmates going to school barefoot, used to say there were no "good old days."
Thanks, Cherie. Yes, horrible, weren't they?

jmb said...

I have a fur stole in my closet, she admits guiltily. I don't know how to get rid of it.

No, they weren't the good old days for me either.

But I like your photos.

Leslie: said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Simi's look, in more ways than one. :D

Maria said...

Oh gosh... those neck wraps scare me too! What ever were they thinking!

Simi looks absolutely gorgeous! Please make sure you give her and extra scratch behind her ears from me!


M

Trubes said...

My Granny used to dress exactly like yours Welshcakes, the photo of your Gran evokes warm memories of the carefree days of my childhood in the fifties...home baked bread and a roaring fire in her huge cast iron fireplace.

I love Simi's coy alluring look, what an adorable doggie she is.

Di.x

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, jmb. I've no idea how you would get rid of a fur coat either! Thanks, Leslie M and Trubes on Simi's behalf. She was happy to receive the extra ear-scratch, M! I call that look her "Princess Diana eyes". I'm glad the pics brought back happy memories for you,Trubes. Love to you all there including, of course, Chloe, from Simi and me. xx woof!

jams o donnell said...

What delightful photos Welshcakes. Simi looks tres chic!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, jams. Simi is very pleased to be told she is "chic" by a man!

Whispering Walls said...

You look so sweet in that bonnet!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, WW.

Counters


View My Stats