Sunday, January 18, 2009

CINEMATIC PERFECTION

Moonstruck [1987] is, for me, the perfect film, for it has Italians, it has the moon, it has romance, it has comedy, it has Nicolas Cage being masterful and Olympia Dukakis being ironical and it has dogs!

I don't usually have much time for Cher, as the way she has had herself cut up in order to get a figure like a boy's is hardly a good role-model for women, but I have to admit that here she proves she can act and is wonderful.

Cage's line, "Now would you come upstairs - and get in my bed!" is beautifully delivered and the grandfather's line, "Someone tell a joke" is a masterpiece of comic timing.

If the film mocks Sicilians, it does so gently and certainly there are still mammas like Johnny's in Sicily - and sons like Johnny everywhere!

Here are my favourite scenes:

Moonstruck - Johnny in Sicily; Loretta meets Ronny.


Moonstruck - Ronny is masterful; Johnny answers a question.


Moonstruck - all is resolved.

12 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

It sounds my kind of film too. I hope you are ok Welshcakes, I often think of you and Simi.

Gledwood said...

Cher's a really good "actor" (though I'd call her an actress)

did you know her career never really took off as well as it might after that oscar because she'd gone and made an infomercial that as soon as she won they blanketed all over American TV thus maxxing out her exposure and nobody wanted to give her a job... sad and weird but aparently true!

PinkAcorn said...

I always thought Cher is a good actress, Nickolas Cage doesn't thrill me...I wish that movie had translation in it!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm sure you'd like it, Ellee. I am much better, thanks. Hi, Gleds. Thanks for the info - I didn't know any of that. Ciao, pink. There aren't that many bits of Italian in it.

Mopsa said...

I adore Moonstruck - the gorgeous Madame Butterfly music too, Cher's wonderful makeover - I LOVE the hair - and yes, that patrol of dogs. I'm going to have tens of them running round my ankles when I'm the Grandpa's age.

jmb said...

This is one of my favourite films and I think Cher is brilliant in it. I'm afraid that I did not care for Nicholas Cage in it so much but all the others were great.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Mopsa. Me, too! Ciao, jmb. I do rather go for him in this! Agree about Cher.

Eurodog said...

One of my favourite films, WL.

Eurodog said...

What about the scene at JFK when they see Johnny off? Cher is left behind with Granny who says to Cher that she has put a curse on the plane. I love the accents too.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, eurodog. That's a great scene, too.

Sean Jeating said...

'Ah, la bella luna. ... The moon brings the woman to the man, capice?'

I love it! A beautiful film. Thanks for sharing Welshcakes.

Hm, and on learning that you feel much better, my heart's rising like a falcon up to the sky. :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm glad you like it, Sean. What lovely imagery you use here!

Counters


View My Stats