Wednesday, March 26, 2008

MALTEMPO E MALUMORE

The weather over Easter was just terrible in Sicily, particularly on Easter Monday when winds of up to 100 km an hour were recorded on the Tyrrhenian coast of the island. Here in Modica we had hail that evening and sensible Simi dragged her mummy back from our walk!

For 4 days there were no ferries to the Isole Eolie [services are reported to have recommenced today] and phone lines and electric cables were down in Agrigento. In Palermo a tree fell onto the balconies of a block of flats, an old, uninhabited block just gave up the ghost and crumbled into the ground and trees also fell onto car parks. In Acireale a publicity placard fell onto 4 cars and a motorbike. I am happy to report that I have read of no injuries or fatalities.

Already feeling cold and grumpy, my mood was not helped by the fact that I woke up this morning to find – you guessed it! – no running water. I had not phoned the Comune to order any on Friday as a lorry-load had arrived , to my surprise, on Thursday. [They must have been filling up the cisterns before the holiday.] Once we have a refill, we are usually all right for 9 – 10 days. I have no idea why the supply dried up so soon this time and did not appreciate it when my buzzer sounded at 8am and the angry voice of a co-tenant yelled, “Why can’t we have a little cooperation over the water supply in this block?” [I don’t think the lady was angry at me so much as at the situation, but I am not at my sunny best at 8 am, reader.] I calmly agreed that cooperation would be a fine thing and explained why I had not called the Comune on Friday. I added that I would not be able to do anything about the situation today as I was about to go to work and would be there until late. The lady then said that she would call the Comune herself. This evening I walked stiffly back home, looking forward to a hot shower though without much hope. But - wonders truly never cease – when I tried the taps, out flowed pure, beautiful water! In these circumstances, reader, you just utter a “thank you” to the neighbour, the Comune or whoever wrought this miracle, get in the shower fast and enjoy it!

For the past 4 days I have had no lighting in my [long] hallway as I can only just reach the goddamn light bulbs to change them, even from a ladder. I can’t get a firm grip on them and the fittings just go round and round, as if they were having a fairground ride. So – OK, I admit I’m scared of total darkness – I have had the bathroom light on overnight so that I can at least see the hallway. But now that has failed too [ no, I can’t reach it] and I am generally rather pissed off. Or I was, until dear Raffaele the hairdresser said he would come over and change the bulbs for me! I haven’t accepted the offer as I couldn’t get back from work between classes today, but it was a kind thought. I am being a very bad feminist here!! [Are you cheering, James?]

Amid all this doom and gloom [I know it’s trivial but it isn’t when you have no one you can take for granted] I was immensely cheered in the Altro Posto at lunchtime as I watched a member of staff chalking the day’s specials onto a board: three times she wrote each item and three times, not content with her handwriting [which seemed perfectly fine to me] she rubbed them off and started again – this despite the fact that they were short-staffed today and she was, for a while, bartender, cook and waitress. I do love Italians and their sense of perfection!

19 comments:

CherryPie said...

Now I do feel for you here, I don't do mornings, won't be distracted by other stuff if I need to go to work. & the light bulbs and too high are very much me too xxx

Leslie: said...

Gosh, I know what you mean about not being able to reach the light bulbs. Whatever idiot designed this house (obviously a man!) placed the stairwell light right over the top part of the stairs but you cannot reach the fixture to change the bulb without staging! Well, I'm not about to hire someone to change a lightbulb, so I have learned to carefully manoeuver the stairs in the semi-darkness! It's been out since a month after I moved in - 4 and 1/2 years ago!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, cherrypie. I really hate mornings but, as you see, am fine late at night! Can't stand being interrupted when I'm about to go to work as I leave it till the last minute! Glad I'm not alone re the light bulbs, too.

Sean Jeating said...

Obviously a lightmare. [no misspelling], Welsh. I start to think once there were no problems at all the lovely Sicilian would jam some - just to make 'la signora inglese' happy.
No, I shall not commend to stay in the post-office until your bulbs-problem has been fixed. ... Although, this would hold the advantage that you might be numero uno in the morning. :)

Well, as said I wouldn't commend this, as you might think 'Ah, Sean is obviously fit again.'

Let's talk about the weather: We had White Eastern, almost had wished our neighbours 'Merry Christmas'. For sure, the coloured Easter-eggs were easily to be found in the snow. :)

Nunyaa said...

I can't reach them either, even standing on a chair. Your water situation makes me appreciate what I have, everything is so green and it is always raining, never run out. Still am water wise though :-)

James Higham said...

I'm not cheering - just feeling that we depend on each other and that supposedly little things like water and light can be quite major when not resolved. Thinking of you.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Oh dear, welchcakes no water is something I would hate. Total darkness is another. I have little lights you plug into a socket and they only come on with complete darkness and movement. I plowl around the house at night and they come on as soon as I appear. They may be available in sicily.

Anonymous said...

The weather sounds kinda similar to here - except I was colder the wind was stronger - up to 80 MPH and less stuff blew away as it had already blown away last week.

flutterby said...

Are there any electrical outlets in the hallway? If so, maybe a night light could be plugged in. It wouldn't light the hallway but might help a little.

If not, maybe you could carry a small flashlight/torch in your handbag. Something the size of a piece of chalk would give you an emergency source of light.

Ellee Seymour said...

Is it just you, or are all Sicilians suffering in the same way.

Sally said...

Hope the lovely Raffaele has popped over to change the bulbs - that man is very important in your life! But so cheering, the human, as opposed to the bureaucratic, face of Italy. I'm gnashing my teeth on your behalf about the water.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Leslie. That was exactly the situation in my house in Britain. I really took my life in my hands every time I changed the landing lightbulb. Obviously designed by a man, as you say. Like the pun, Sean. I never thought of spending the night in the post office! I hope you had a pretty White Easter. Hi, nunyaa. thanks for the empathy. Thank you, James. That is very nice of you. Ciao, MM. I will have a look for those though there are no sockets in the hallway. Hi, Mutley. We have thunder today. No lightning yet, though. Thanks, flutterby. No, no sockets in the hall. I do keep a torch by the bed in case of a quake or something but I could do with a small one as well. Hi, Ellee. Well, everyone is fed up with the weather and student of mine who is a farmer has lost many crops. The water situation seems particularly bad in this area of the city and in this condominio because there is no one really in charge of it. Thanks, Sally. No, I haven't rung Raff and asked him to come - I feel a bit shy about it. I've called an electrician as I think there is something wrong with the fittings but he can't come till tomorrow - maybe.

Whispering Walls said...

How many Sicilians does it take to change a light bulb?

Gledwood said...

Some of the worst weather I have ever experienced in my life was a great sea-storm whipping up from Sicily down to the Maltese Coast... we'd been out all day on a boat to Gozo it was nightmare getting ashore literally had to TIME the landing and take a run between the metal ramp literally THROWING ITSELF UP IN THE AIR! (Oh! The suing that would go on nowadays! But that was 1984...)

Crushed said...

You're not a bad feminist, you just have the same challenges I do, I can't reach the bulbs, and this means chairs, which can be precarious in the hallway.

Modica, it sounds like Dune some days...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for that, Crushed. I think the "Dune" analogy is a bit extreme, though!
Ciao, Gleds. That sounds like a nightmare journey!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

WW, I was waiting for someone to sat that!! - One tall one, I should think...

Liz Hinds said...

It's not being unfeminist to not to be able to reach a lightbulb! Do take care in the dark though.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Liz. x

Counters


View My Stats