Tuesday, March 11, 2008

DAILY DOINGS - 4

I did it again today – went to the Post Office, settled myself down for the inevitable wait and realised I was sitting next to someone who is inordinately fascinated by the “turn” numbers coming up on the screen. The last time this happened it was a little old gentleman who kept repeating the numbers and digging his elbow into my ribs, but this time there was another such on my left and a not-so-old little lady on my right. Both shouted out each new ticket number displayed. [I could understand it if they were just excited at the numbers moving along for the service they required, but no, they celebrated with an elbowing for every single one.] Bruised, therefore, but not yet bowed, I rose to be served when my own prodotti postali number appeared on the screen [and to be fair, I was served rather promptly today – only a 20-minute wait]. As I left, what did I see? The same protagonists still sitting there, engaged in the same pastime of “number-yelling” and thoroughly enjoying themselves in the process. Will someone please explain to me the attraction of this occupation, for I am thinking of taking it up?! I am obviously missing something, paying out, as I do, for Rai and Sky, when there is this sort of entertainment to be had for free! It makes you wonder what anyone sees in the internet, really….

It has been a stormy day here and does not promise to be a pleasant night, but it has only, thus far, been the equivalent of a blustery day in Britain at this time of year. [That is not to belittle the “real” storms we get here, which can be very scary indeed, especially for a Brit not used to thunder without lightning or horror-film-style rattling shutters.] Yet my beloved Sicilians are making, well, “heavy weather” of it, going around with their scarves clutched to their mouths again and uttering “Che brutto tempo” [= “What terrible weather”] to all they meet. But I guarantee that they do not have the heating on at home!

Bless my soul, the water lorry arrived without any prompting [on my part, at least] today! I had tried to phone to order a tankful for the condominio on Friday but no one answered early on; then, once I am at work and teaching, I forget about anything else [which is as it should be]; phoned on Saturday but was told I had to phone on Monday; phoned yesterday and yes, the “order” was taken! When I came back at lunchtime today I could tell, by the lack of pressure, that we were going to run out at any minute and was just swearing [rather loudly] to myself when Simi barked: "No, it won't be our load yet", I remonstrated but on her insistence ventured out onto the balcony to check – and there it was, reader; one lovely, big water lorry delivering to us! And I am a lady who didn’t believe in miracles….

16 comments:

jmb said...

Love the post office story, endless fodder for the blog.

All too soon they will be saying Che brutto caldo!

Don't get to used the hassle free water delivery, I'm sure it will be a one-off, going by the past efforts.

Whispering Walls said...

Shouting may be the only solution to speed up the PO boffins (and it's therapeutic)

Rowena said...

I agree, there is no need whatsoever for Rai and Sky. I only wish that my post office encounters were as entertaining as yours! Blame it on northern efficiency. Or maybe not, because I have yet to receive two very important packages from the states!

CherryPie said...

It is very stormy hear at the moment. No thunder or lightening though. Just lots of wind and rain, it makes the building I work in sway about!

Sean Jeating said...

While some people would erroneously diagnose them with arithmomania, according to my absolutely trustworthy source your number-yelling folks are members of the Sicilian branch of a widely branching noble lineage, the head of which is residing in Sesame Street: Count von Count.

Con uno scaltro occhiolino. :)

Melina2811 said...

ciao da Maria

Leslie: said...

I really find it hard to believe that you get forceful storms in Sicily. However, I must admit that the day we had coffee in Enna it was dismal and cool.

Crushed said...

It could be a bizarre form of bingo.
A bit like copd playing speed snooker.

Still, at least you have water!
See, Simi is always right!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

You know you should do ..apply to work at the Post Office !! :-) that would be entertaining for us..what a hoot it would be.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. There is that about it! They will , indeed, soon be saying that and I shall be joining them! I think the water delivery was a one-off, too. Never thought of that, WW! Ciao, Rowena. Didn't realise they were that much more efficient up there! I recently received a package from Canada which took 2 months to arrive! Hi, cherrypie. I hope you're surviving it OK. Saw some pics on Sky of the storms in Britain and it all looks very grim. Ah, that would explain it, then, Sean! Ciao, Maria. Hi, Leslie. When it rains here, it really rains and the first autumn I was here a bad thunderstorm lasted 2 whole days with no letup at all. Ciao, Crushed. Bingo! I never thought of that, either. Simi is here and says, "Thank you, Uncle Crushed. My mummy should know by now that I'm always right!" Hi, Anne - now that's an idea!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I was thinking along the lines of 'Crushed' and waiting for them to yell Bingo!... maybe you should do it next time.. :)

Love your post office...x

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Yummie

Mopsa said...

That post office scene -so vivid in my mind's eye - a Sicilian Jean de Florette pas de deux, without a doubt. And with the field ditches running like rivers at the mo here, I can't believe you have to get the stuff delivered.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Abbey. Maybe I will try that next time! Thanks, jj. Ciao, Mopsa. Incredible that we have to get it delivered - swap?!

Unknown said...

i'm with the others, i think the bingo call is a great idea. as for being a non-believer of miracles, my nan used to say if you don't believe, you don't receive!! i love reading your posts, sorry i don't get here as often as i'd like to xo

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, kyles. Your nan talked sense there! Bingo must be the answer! You're always welcome whenever you can come over. I couldn't get into your blog yesterday, btw - something to do with blogger "outage" , maybe? Will try again shortly. Auguri x

Counters


View My Stats