Monday, April 23, 2012

UN PORTONE

During my study of Sicilian proverbs, I have become very interested in the ones that have near equivalents in English or French, and how they differ slightly to fit the particular culture.  One such proverb is,

"Si çiùri 'na porta e si ràpi 'm purticàtu - A door closes and a gate opens."

I understand that a similar proverb is not in the Bible but may be originally Jewish.  It became known in Britain mostly through the Julie Andrews film, The Sound of Music, where it is rendered,

"When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window".


Window at Castello di Donnafugata, Ragusa, Sicily


I have some troubles at the moment and a door has closed for me, so I would like to say to God,

"Hey, I know you're very busy and I am trying to exercise my Sicilian pazienza,  but please, if you are going to open a gate for me, could you make it kind of soon?"


Entrance to the Nelson Castle, Maniace, Sicily

9 comments:

Claude said...

You are in my heart and prayers, dear Welshcakes. May God open that gate very, very soon! Sometimes, we have to give a little push...Meilleurs voeux du Canada. De tout coeur

jams o donnell said...

I hope the door or window opens, Welshcakes

James Higham said...

When Jesus opens the door, He gets in, opens the sunroof and drives off.

Sean Jeating said...

Mark Twain's right, Lady Limoncello. The very other door will soon open. Until then, please take care of yourself. My good thoughts are with you.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Claude. I'm not very good at the pushing part! Je vous remercie de tout coeur. Thank you, jams. Hello, James. I guess that is just what he does. Hi, Sean and thank you. You may need to keep telling me, though!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I do hope God opens the gate for you very soon, Pat!

J. M. P. said...

I guess my homeland proverb is more modest than the Sicilian one, but more generous than that of God: "When a door closes, another one opens". All the best.

LordSomber said...

You might be interested in a book called "Idiom's Delight" by Sue Brock. Many idioms in English have interesting parallels in Spanish, French, Italian and Latin.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Pat and thank you. Thanks, Josep. I like that version, too. Hello, Lord Somber and thank you for that suggestion.

Counters


View My Stats