Monday, February 25, 2008

ANOTHER NOVEL ABOUT SICILY

When I popped over to Britain in October 2006, mainly for the Cheltenham Literature Festival , I attended a talk by Barry Unsworth about his historical novel set in Sicily, The Ruby in her Navel. I was fascinated by what he had to say, as he spoke of a time in twelfth-century Palermo when Christians, Muslims and Jews lived in harmony and appreciated each other’s skills.
Thurstan, a young Norman at the court of King Roger 11, where Muslims are entrusted with very high office, is the main character. He is the Purveyor of Pleasures and Shows but works for the Diwan of Control, or Financial Department. His ambition is to become a knight. In love with his childhood sweetheart, who has reappeared in his life, our would-be knight is also drawn to the exotic dancer, Nesrin, whom he brings to the court along with her troupe.

The vibrant atmosphere of Palermo in this era is well evoked and we are taken on a journey that encompasses not only daily life under the Norman king, but the Royal Chapel during the crafting of its magnificent mosaics, the silk workshop of the tiraz and the sumptuous surroundings and lifestyle of the royal court as they hunt at Favara [Agrigento]. We are also provided with an insight as to the character of Roger himself and one of the best descriptions of how he may have looked that I have ever read.

Yet times were already changing in Palermo and a sort of Christian fundamentalism sets in: thus Thurstan finds himself caught up in an episode of betrayal that leads to tragedy and there is an ingenious plot twist at the end of this tale.

I recommend this book to all who are interested in the history of Sicily for, as Unsworth has said, the story certainly has resonances for our time.


10 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I've only ever read one Barry Unsworth novel, Sacred Hunger. I will have to give this a go.

jmb said...

I love a good historical novel, especially if it's well researched and you actually learn something from it. And about Sicily no less! I've written it down and will search for it.

Indigo-Daisy said...

Oh how I love my library. They have the book, I ordered it from their website, and I should be able to pick it up in about a week. Thank you so much for the tip, I am looking forward to reading it!

Whispering Walls said...

I'll look out for that. Am still reading Little Dorrit at the moment: haven't read any of it since I started my new job as I'm driving rather than taking the train.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jams. This is the only Unsworth novel I've read. I must get around to reading some others. I hope you enjoy it, jmb. Hi, indigo-daisy. What an efficient library you have! I do hope you enjoy this book. Btw, I can't get into your blog these days? Hi, WW> You'd like it, I am sure.

James Higham said...

The word "roger" - a good word, I always felt. :)

CherryPie said...

It sounds a really interesting read :-)

Sean Jeating said...

And I learnt who was Frederick II's grandfather. :)

Ellee Seymour said...

I know if I read that for sure I would be on the first flight over there to see you. One day!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

James, you're a walking hormone these days! I'm sure you'd like it, cherrypie. Glad to be of service, Sean! One day, as we keep saying, Ellee!

Counters


View My Stats