Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A STRAW POLL

Many of you will know that I am a fan of the BBC Radio 4 series The Archers and that I listen to it here on the internet. In Britain I wouldn't even answer the phone if it rang during the sacred 15 minutes of the programme's duration, figuring that anyone who knew me would not ring at that time. Here I'm now a bit more selective about which episodes I listen to: I read the online synopsis and if the episode has consisted mostly of the Adam character droning on about his strawberry growing, or Nigel and Lizzie [who used to be fun but has turned into a corporate bore] discussing how to make even more money from their stately pile, I don't bother listening as well. But if the episode has featured the Brian - Siobhan - Jenny triangle, my headphones are on straightaway and the world can wait! I know Liz has written about this so apologies to you, Liz, for repeating the tale and sorry if you've read it on her blog. If you haven't, the situation is as follows: Brian Aldridge, a rich farmer married to Jenny "dahling" had an affair with flighty Siobhan Hathaway some years ago. They had a child, Ruari, Jenny found out and hit the roof and, though tempted to go off and start a new life with Siobhan, Brian decided to go back to wifey. [Typical.] He has, however, been seeing Siobhan and his son on the quiet over the years. Now Siobhan is dying of cancer and has asked Brian and Jenny to look after Ruari. This Jenny has categorically refused to do but, as Brian has made it clear that he will take the boy on in any case, she is now wavering and looks set to cave in. She doesn't want to lose Brian but she also doesn't want to lose her lifestyle. There is a poll on the programme's website about what she should do and 55% say she will have to take the boy now.



I thought I'd conduct my own poll among women friends here to see if their reactions say anything about cultural differences and I have asked women aged from 18 to 60. Not one of them can see any dilemma; all they would be concerned about is the child, so they believe that Jenny has a duty to look after him. Me? I'd probably cave in, too, partly because Brian, for all his philandering, is quite a charming character who has a very sexy speaking voice! "Meglio un uomo che ti mette le corna ma che può darti qualcosa" [="Better a man who is unfaithful but can give you something"], says Irma. But I think it would make much better radio drama if Jenny and Brian were to divorce with Jenny taking him for everything he's got and then finding herself a nice gigolo. Brian, of course, would soon find himself some long-legged young trophy, as men in their 50s and 60s do, but she would not satisfy him for long. Then we'd see how he manages without his Jenny "dahling" ministering to his every need.


When I first came to Italy, a man told me that for Italian men there is "a woman of the bed" and "a woman of the heart" or some such nonsense. In my touching romantic naivety of the time I suggested that the roles should be combined in one and the same woman. You live and learn.

6 comments:

Ruthie said...

Your observations make me smile :)

I'd probably take the child, just out of concern for the kid's well-being.

"When I first came to Italy, a man told me that for Italian men there is "a woman of the bed" and "a woman of the heart" or some such nonsense. In my touching romantic naivety of the time I suggested that the roles should be combined in one and the same woman. You live and learn."

In the Italian-American neighborhood I grew up in, it was a foregone conclusion that a man would have both a wife and a girl on the side. I remember realizing this for the first time, and saying something like, "I'll never marry an Italian, then."

But they're so adorable. How do you stand it, Welshcakes?

Liz Hinds said...

I'd like to think I'm both! (Sorry, I skipped over the Archers bit straight onto the heart and bed bit!) It's on in one minute so I shall time my food preparation to coincide. Excuse me.

Anonymous said...

"a woman of the bed" and "a woman of the heart"

I'm not of Italian heritage, but I've heard something like this before. As for me, guess I'm old fashion, but my wife is both.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ruthie, I agree. I don't know how I stand it but I haven't met one I want to marry yet!
Liz, I'm sure you are both.
Steve, and so she should be. You are such a nice man, btw.

Lee said...

Ummmm...let's really put the cat amongst the pigeons...have Brian's son grow up quickly and run off with Jenny!

Hozatt?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lee, the script writers should hire you!

Counters


View My Stats