Monday, August 20, 2012

TREAT OF THE WEEK - 14



What with all the Ferragosto inconveniences last week, I found myself much in need of comfort food and what could be more comforting than mashed potato?  In this heat, I also wanted something cold so I was pleased to find a recipe for a cold, mashed potato zuccotto in this month's La Cucina Italiana. The potatoes are mashed with olive oil, seasoning, grated lemon zest, basil and parsley and the filling contains chopped, roasted tomatoes, chopped rocket, chopped green and black olives and, in my version, capers - these last for no better reason than that I like them. [I substituted them for the onion in the recipe.]  The sauce around the zuccotto is the sieved juice saved from the tomatoes as they were deseeded prior to roasting.  A good old British pudding basin was called up for zuccotto mould duty.


13 comments:

Claude said...

C'est si tentant! Thank you again for another delicious and inspired recipe.

Patricia said...

What a cute little dish...nothing like cutting into something like that and being "surprised" with the treasure inside.

CherryPie said...

It is making my mouth water :-)

LindyLouMac said...

What a great idea, must try this sometime.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello Pat, I always look forward to opening your posts "treat of the week" but this made me laugh,,, I saw treat of the week, scrolled down a little bit, and there was no Gelato or dessert.. I said to myself "That looks like mashed potato".. and it was!!! xx

Jenny Woolf said...

Wonderful - you always come up with such good recipes

Lee said...

That looks great...and I bet it tastes great, too.

Angus Dei said...

In this hot weather in Blighty I have been rather partial to cold mash sandwiches:)

James Higham said...

No bangers and mash for you, Welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Claude and thank you. The thanks are due to "La Cucina Italiana" this time! Hi, Patricia. I was pleasantly surprised by the way this turned out.
Thasnks, Cherie. Glad you like the idea, LindyLouMac. Hi, Anne. Haha! You were right... xx Not me but the magazine this time, Jenny! But thanks. Hi, Lee. Yes, it tasted very good. I can imagine, Angus! Oh, I don't know about that, James....

Rachel Cotterill said...

That looks realy great :-)

Liz Hinds said...

As mashed potato is one of my favourite things that looks ideal!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Rachel. Hi, Liz. There's nothing like mashed potato!

Counters


View My Stats