Wednesday, August 01, 2012

QUICK BULGHUR SALAD

A couple of weeks ago, I made a version of Palma D'Onofrio's Chicken with Grapefruit and Ginger.  This is the salad I made to go with it - a sort of cheat's tabbouleh, really:

Quick Bulghur Wheat Salad





Cover c. 300 gr bulghur wheat with cold water and leave to absorb.  Then repeat the process. In a large bowl, add the drained contents of a jar of antipasto sott'olio [small onions, tomatoes, artichokes, peppers, olives, etc., in oil] to the bulghur wheat with the rind and juice of a lemon, 3 tablesp olive oil, seasoning, a handful of chopped, fresh mint leaves and another of chopped parsley.  Stir very well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Note:  Bulghur wheat is not easy to find here but sometimes it appears in larger supermarkets.  Sometimes I buy it in Catania.  You could make this salad with couscous, too.


8 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

I just love the way you have adapted so many dishes.

Jenny Woolf said...

I will try this - I have never tried making anything with bulghur and it's about time I did. Also I am getting tired of the usual potatoes and rice and pasta that I have with salad.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Rosaria. I am flattered that you want to try it, Jenny.

nothing here said...

I used to eat Bulgar wheat and such like when was a vegan a while back

Your dish looks good...

I see that you have changed your 'heading image' of the magnificent church against the blue sky..

However I like the calm view over the water

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, "Nothing here". Well, as everyone here heads to the sea at thi time of year, I thought it was appropriate. Glad someone noticed!

nothing here said...

I always wanted to live near the Sea. Although I have in the past , indeed born 'near', I am thinking more along the lines of 'next' to the Sea.

Yes, I noticed, having an 'eye for the Visual Arts'

I have been to Italy once. To Firenze and Arezzo. Mainly to see the great Art. well of course, what else, oh, yes and the wonderful food and countryside.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi again, "Nothing here". I love Florence and that area. Here we are about 20 minutes from the sea by car.

nothing here said...

Indeed. You are very lucky. I stayed in a lovely Pensione just along the way from The Basilica of Santa Croce where I went to see the beautiful frescoes by Giotto

Counters


View My Stats