Tuesday, June 14, 2011

POLLO ALLA MANTOVANA



This is in honour of my visit to Mantova but I admit I've taken some liberties with it:  firstly, you are supposed to make the recipe with rabbit but as I couldn't get any, I used boneless, skinless chicken breast [ask for one if you are in Italy but two if you are in the UK].  Secondly, I used balsamic vinegar although the recipe does not specify this.  I did not, however, halve the amount of garlic cloves - ten - although I was using half the quantity of meat.  You can use less garlic if you want to but I was pleasantly surprised by the subtlety of the flavour.

OK, here we go:  Cut the chicken breasts into fairly large pieces and marinate for about an hour in a wine glass of balsamic vinegar and about a quarter a glass of water.  Meanwhile, pound ten peeled garlic cloves with 2 - 3 sprigs of rosemary in a mortar.  Drain the chicken [no need to be too thorough about it] and put it in a wide, fairly deep pan with 4 tablesp olive oil plus seasalt and black pepper to taste.  Spread the rosemary and garlic mixture over. Cook the chicken on all sides for about 5 minutes, stirring, then turn the heat down, cover the pan and let the chicken cook for about an hour, turning it now and then.  Chuck in a glass of white wine and let it evaporate.

You can serve the dish with "the gold of the north" -  polenta -  to soak up the juices, with rice or just salad.

7 comments:

Rowena said...

Chicken looks great too.

Claude said...

Looks delicious. Just in time for Martin's Friday's visit. He thanks you with me.:)

LindyLouMac said...

Sounds delicious.

Rosaria Williams said...

It looks delicious and nutritious. So simple, yet, so subtle.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Rowena. Thanks, Claude. I hope you both enjoy it. Thanks, LindyLouMac and Rosaria. Yes, it's very simple but effective.

Liz Hinds said...

I don't like rosemary! Could I use something else?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, I think you could use another herb that you like.

Counters


View My Stats