Monday, October 02, 2006

MOSTARDA


You may know Italian mustard fruits as you can now buy them in delicatessens in Britain, particularly at this time of year. Mostarda di Cremona is the best known variety internationally. Today I found this apple variety from Mantova, which I had never tasted before. Like the other types, it is a fine accompaniment to cold meats. I used to make a version of mostarda in Britain; a jar of it makes an unusual and much appreciated Xmas present, so here is the recipe:

2lb fresh fruit, eg., slices of melon, plum, mandarin, pumpkin, pear and apple
1lb glacé fruit - I like to include different coloured cherries and glacé ginger - but the mix is up to you
one and a half lbs sugar
juice of 4 lemons
5 fl oz white wine vinegar
3 fl oz water
3 tablesp Dijon mustard

Peel, core and slice the fresh fruit. Mix in a bowl with the glacé fruit. Combine the liquids in a heavy pan, add the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring. Boil for about 3 minutes. Add the fruit. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour it all into hot, sterilised jars and leave to cool. Seal the jars when cold. Refrigerate the jars for at least 2 weeks before giving. [If you like, you can add some yellow mustard seeds to the fruit mixture to pretty it up.]
This won't give you quite the authentic taste, so do buy some Mostarda Di Cremona fruits if you can find them, but all my British friends used to like this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to publish your own cookery book, take on Jamie Oliver. What do they think of him in Italy.

Just back from GOS. It went as expected, David has to stay on antibiotics for another 3 months due his relapse in the summer, then he will have a scan. Sorry to hear about your father, it has been a terrible ordeal for David, but we are over the worst.

He is worst than me at shopping, afterwards he dragged me along Oxford Street to spend some of his money, then complains I'm too old to go shopping with him. I did enjoy it though. Thanks for your comment and concern.

Maria said...

This sounds so delicious! You really have to put a cook book together like elle said! I know it would be amazing! ~M

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You are both so kind. Thank you. Perhaps I will have a go at a cookery book! I don't think Jamie is all that well known here, Ellee; I will ask around. A lot of Italian women cook the recipes that have been handed down to them and do not often experiment. Glad, Ellee, that you and your son are over the worst. It sounds like you had a fine shopping spree!

David said...

I'd buy that book! Your passion for food and place is what makes this blog so readable and I'm sure you could reproduce it in a book.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Wow! David - your comment has made my night. I really will try and give the cookery book a go.

Ballpoint Wren said...

I agree... you must write up a cookery book.

I would like to try this... I've got to find some canning jars.

Counters


View My Stats