Thursday, March 07, 2013

SCECCU PORTA E SCECCU MANCIA

Sceccu porta e sceccu mancia.
He brings donkey [meat] and eats donkey [meat].
- Sicilian saying  [usually said of someone who brings food  - probably a dessert - to a meal with friends or family and then is the first to eat it!]

Having followed the relevant twitter feeds here, I can't help feeling that Italians have rather enjoyed the UK horse-meat scandal, simply because it proves yet again that we know nothing about food.  How, after all, could we not have detected it over all these years? Only the citizens of a nation where sausages and bacon are eaten in the morning could have such undiscerning tastebuds, the reasoning goes. The French view it all rather differently, as they just can't see what the problem is:  "It's horse-meat - et alors?"

The laughter died down somewhat a couple of weeks ago when the management of a popular international furniture store banned meatballs from its restaurants in Italy and 13 other countries after horse-meat traces had been found in the product in the Czech Republic. Then traces were found in a pack of ready-made lasagne in Verona Province. Though not as nonchalant as their French neighbours, consumers here are scandalised less because the products may contain horse-meat and more because they do not contain the ingredients stated on their packaging or publicity.  But now - oh, no! - traces of horse-meat have been found in the ragù produced by a well-known Italian manufacturer of stock cubes and sauces.  Of course, any Italian woman with any pride makes her own brodo and ragù - or so we are led to believe - but if that were always true the products wouldn't sell, would they?  I do make my own ragù and freeze it in small portions, as you need it as an ingredient in timballi or pasta al forno but will admit I've been tempted, at times, to buy the new small portions of ragù made by this company. I'm glad I didn't!  

Image: WP Clipart


7 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I think the alarming aspect of it is - what ELSE may be there. They've tested for horsemeat but have they tested for dog and cat? :(

RNSANE said...

Woe is me, "my kingdom for a horse" but not in my food!

Diarmo said...

Hi there,
I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m highjacking your blog but I wanted to ask your advice on where to watch the Ireland V Italy rugby match in Palermo 16th Match.
I see that you are Welsh and from that I’ve assumed (I hope correctly) you are a rugby nut*, you also seem to be a Sicily expert so perhaps you can help.
I’m an Irishman travelling on my own for a number of days through Western Sicily and was hoping to catch the game with a bit of local flavour rather than in a default ‘Irish’ pub.
Many thanks,
Diarmaid
*I see you’ve posted about Choir singing and St David so the Welsh rugby cliché shouldn’t be that big of a jump!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Jenny. A frightening thought. Exactly, Carmen! Hi, Diarmo and welcome. I'm not a rugby nut, I'm afraid. I like the singing but don't understand the sport! I'm five hours from Palermo so can't help you there - I'm so sorry.

Whispering Walls said...

Cavallo diablo!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Indeed, WW.

Liz Hinds said...

I noticed horse meat on the menu a couple of times in Italy.

Counters


View My Stats