Monday, January 14, 2008

THE WATER MAN COMETH - 2

I want to know why the water man never cometh at a convenient time: this afternoon I was just taking Simi out before rushing to work when along came the water lorry: "Is it for us?" I asked the driver as he passed [for I had remembered to "order" the condominio's refill on Friday - I'm still not sure how I got into being responsible for this]. "No, it's for the palazzo opposite," he replied, "but yours will be the next load". "I have to go to work, though", I explained [none of the other tenants ever seems to be in and so able to sign for the delivery when it arrives] and he suggested I open the courtyard barrier and "put something round the post" so that he could get the lorry through later. What he meant was that he wanted me to put a scarf or baseball cap [as if I owned such a sporty item!] on the metal post so that the barrier would not close again automatically after a few minutes. Reader, I had only about 10 minutes in which to get across to work, I do not keep old scarves and suchlike, so had nothing to hand that I could have tied to the post and anyway I am so impractical that I couldn't have worked out where the bit on the metal post is that "connects" to the remote control [does that make any sense?] in the time available to me.

Only one thing to do, then, and that was to become the "helpless female" for I have discovered that in Sicily "I'm in a hurry " will get you nowhere for no one is likely to believe you, whereas "I'm clueless and just don't know what to do" will get you everywhere. "Please, signore , if I open the barrier now, is it possible that you, who are prepared for these situations, can tie something across the post?" I pleaded a few moments later and there we were - detto fatto! ["No sooner said than done".] "I'll put the form in your mailbox for you", the kind lorry driver promised, and so he did. I have never worked out why this form, which so urgently requires signing if I am in , or if anybody else is in, for that matter, does not have to be signed if we are all out and the lorry still manages, one way or another, to get through the barrier and fill the cistern. Last time this happened I asked if I needed to sign it and take it to the water office but was told that it wasn't necessary. Like everything else pertaining to the Sicilian water supply, this is likely to remain a mystery to me!

Anyway, we have water as I write so disaster is averted in the condominio for another 10 days or so...

12 comments:

jmb said...

Detto fatto! I love that and have never heard it before. Reduced to being a blonde bimbo. That must have hurt. The water problem seems insoluble

Whispering Walls said...

What a relief that you didn't have to use your new scarf for that purpose!

Anonymous said...

I am usually the only one here during the daytime so get caught for allowing delivery people into the building by pressing the button on the intercom system. Sometimes my own deliveries require a signature...and I am not always dressed early in the morning...grabbing a suitable cover up quickly is the key to respectability at such times.

Your epitaph: She always remembered to order the water.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm a great believer in the helpless female routine.

I still can't imagine what it's like to have to have water brought in.

Ellee Seymour said...

Let's hope you don't run dry because of your new job, I can see this could be a problem.
I hope you are wearing your new scarf for work and wowing them all.

Leslie: said...

And to think I take water so for granted! (of course there always seems to be more arriving from the sky above, too! ;D)

But I think electricity is the #1 next most important thing. Last night we lost our power for 4 hours due to hurricane gust winds and I was at a total loss. I ended up in bed covered with a flannel sheet, a wool blanket, the bedspread, plus a sleeping bag zipped open. I was wearing (picture this) my long-sleeved nightie, heavy socks, and my housecoat. I read with a flashlight until about 10 pm when my eyes gave out and I fell asleep. All well today, though, with beautiful clear blue sunny skies. Whew....

Crushed said...

I get the impression that there is a deliberate policy in any public service in Sicily NOT to be convenient in any way shape or form.

It is a policy most British banks have adopted by only being open when you cannot get to them.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao,jmb. Yes, "reduced" I was!! WW< good point - I never thought about that! Hi, Shirl. I'm not that good at being dressed, etc., early morning myself and I'm hanged if I will open that door without full make-up on and drenched in perfume! Re epitaph, we could add "And she picked up the dog poo " - romantic, that! Hi, Liz. Will there come a day when it will stop working, though? I'd love you to come over and see a water delivery for yourself! Hi, Ellee. You've reminded me I must get an outfit for that scarf! x Leslie, that must have been awful. Poor you. Glad you have good weather today. Ciao, Crushed - I imagine that is much the same everywhere.

James Higham said...

I can feel it. Our problem is not availability but getting them through the security screens to deliver.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Jmaes. Tell us more about the security screens? - Perhaps on your blog.

Dragonstar said...

What a palaver to get your water. On our island the water came from the sky, ran down the roof, and collected in two storage tanks. It was the nicest water I've ever tasted - except after lightning storms, when it tasted of brass and chlorine!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Dragonstar. I can just taste it, reading your words!

Counters


View My Stats