Thursday, November 03, 2011

TREASURE TROVE IN MODICA BASSA

One of the places I have an affection for in Modica Bassa is the Casa del Formaggio, partly because of its fantastic, traditional products and partly because it is situated in the street where Simi and I lived for five weeks when we first came to Modica.

So on Sunday, when I visited the Chocobarocco Festival, I took the opportunity to call in on Giuseppe:





Cotagnata [quince paste] and mostarda are on display [centre]

Some local cheeses are kept cool in the traditional way.

Do pay a visit to this little shop if you are ever in Modica - you will be surprised and delighted by what you find there.

6 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

One day I shall!

Trubes said...

Oooh! That looks like a place I could spend a day in Welshcakes, I trust one is allowed to sample the fare? The first 'Italian Deli' I encountered was on The Wirral, 35 years ago, the owner was called Roberto and he came from Sicily. He married an English girl and camemover to England to find work. He started work in on of the original 'authentic' Pizza bars in the UK and honed his skills there. He then went on to open his own business, in which he was very successful.
I sampled my first Lasagne Verdi from there, all hand made, none of the ready made factory junk that is purveyed in pubs and diners claimed to be 'home made'!

Di..xx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

And very welcome you will be, WW. Hi, Trubes. I'm sure Giuseppe would find some samples for you! Thanks for sharing the story of Roberto here. xx

Jenny Woolf said...

What a marvellous looking place. I am sure I could spend some happy time there.

Dragonstar said...

What a delicious photo - and the shop looks good too ;)
I adore cheese, and I could spend all day in a place like that!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm sure you'd both have a lovely time there, Jenny and Dragonstar.

Counters


View My Stats