Sunday, October 16, 2011

THAT'S NOT AMORE

myspace layouts


This is not a Sicilian tale but I'll recount it here because I've always been interested in the way in which love, when it ends, leaves so much bitterness.  Perhaps it is because we knew, or thought we knew, the other person so well  and we cannot bear the thought of charms we once adored being used on someone else.

Sometimes bitterness turns to vengeance and that is what happened in the case of a couple from Piacenza [Emilia-Romagna] who had been separated for two years.  The husband, in an attempt to hurt and humiliate his wife, obtained a blank car number plate, forged the numbers of his wife's car and stuck them onto it.  Then he borrowed a similar car to the one owned by his wife and went driving at very high speeds in it, several times, on roads where he knew there were speed cameras.

Needless to say, his wife was not pleased when she received, through the post, ten fines amounting to €1,500 and a letter telling her that her driving licence had been revoked.  Police in Fiorenzuolo d'Arda, examining photos of both cars, were finally able to confirm that the car that had been driven at dangerous speeds did not belong to her .

L'amuri è comu 'n çiuovu, si 'u scippi ci rresta 'u pirtusu.
Love is like a nail - when you take it out, you're left with the hole.
- Sicilian proverb

Real love, of course, does not die - I remain convinced of it.

5 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Actually something pretty weird about this man. It's a lot of trouble to go to - requires planning and forethought. She was well rid of him and just as well he didn't try to do anything more dangerous methinks.

Cuby said...

I feel as you do that real love does not die. This is tale of the ridiculous lengths couples can go to when love turns to hate.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Jenny. Yes, a strange man. I agree she is well out of it. Hi, Cuby. I'm glad I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Trubes said...

So true Welshcakes, I have been in love three times, the first love dumped me, probably quite rightly, as he was going off to University, he felt he was too young to be involved at our tender ages of eighteen and seventeen

T The second love I married after knowing for five years. I divorced him for his infidelity after thirteen years.


My third 'true love', I am still married to, and will celebrate twenty five years of a lovely, fun, some times trying, but mostly happy marriage.

All three young men, I fell deeply in love with, but the only enduring relationship is, of course, my present one.

I never did find out what happened to the first guy (unrequited love).

Sadly the secone one died four years ago, (betrayed love).

Again, my present Darling Husband is my (enduring love)!



I guess that is 'Amore'!


Di..xx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Di. Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, that's amore that you have! xxx

Counters


View My Stats