Monday, October 17, 2011

ELIXIR OF LIFE?



I've often wondered just what it is that keeps elderly Sicilians so sprightly: the combination of sun and sea, lifestyle and the famous Mediterranean diet are all factors and now it seems that the Sicilian prickly pear or fico d'India may contain the very elixir of life.

A recent study found that the process of ageing was significantly delayed in people who ate eight prickly pears a day and scientists say that they may soon produce a health supplement containing the fruit.

I'm not waiting for the supplement - I'm off to buy a crate of the fruit right now!

8 comments:

Patricia said...

Do you wear gloves when slicing and peeling??

CherryPie said...

I have never even seen a prickly pare.

J. M. P. said...

Sounds great, I hope there's a little of that elixir in Catalan pears too :)

James Higham said...

Eight a day though - that's a tall order.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Patricia. No, because I was taught how to peel them with a knife and fork by a Sicilian. Oh, you should try them, Cherie. But as I remember, when you could sometimes get them in the UK they were horrifically expensive and travelling didn't improve them. I'm sure there must be, Josep! Oh, I don't know, James....

Liz Hinds said...

Do they taste nice?

Whispering Walls said...

I didn't see any in Sirmione, sadly

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

In my opinion yes, Liz. That's a shame, WW.

Counters


View My Stats