Tuesday, December 29, 2009

AND ANOTHER SANTA CAME FROM ALBANIA...



Rosa and her husband had to go to Albania to see a sick relative before Christmas and then, because of a rough sea, could not get back to Italy in time to spend Christmas Day with their children [who stayed with their aunt]. I think we can all imagine how stressful and disappointing that was for them.

However, Rosa was in good spirits when she came to see Simi and me yesterday morning and it was like Christmas all over again: I shall treasure these intricately carved ornaments and the one on the right represents a çiftelia instrument and a sheep, a symbol of good luck in Albania. Rosa tells me that my good fortune will be assured if I fall asleep looking at the object so I have placed it beside my bed and am now full of hope for the New Year.



Then, when I tasted this Albanian dessert, I thought I had gone to heaven. It is called tulumba and consists of fried pastries in syrup - but what a syrup, reader!



Thank you, dear Rosa and family. I hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve together and that you have the happiest of new years.

6 comments:

RNSANE said...

How sad that Rosa missed Christmas with her children but you were the beneficiary of a very special present and a wonderful dessert!I hope your lucky gift ensures you all luck in 2010!

CherryPie said...

How nice for you to be able to have a second Christmas :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Carmen. Yes, very worrying for them. I was very lucky indeed to receive the presies and dessert. Hope you have a wonderful 2010 too. Hi, Cherie. It was a lovely surprise.

Anonymous said...

Happy nude year ms Limoncello. I have enjoyed corresponding with you in 2009 and I hope we shall stay in contact one way or another in 2010.

jmb said...

How sad for Rosa and her husband not to share with their children. But as you say two Christmases for them too.

Happy New Year to you Welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. Yes, that was awful for her. Happy New Year to you and the scientist from Simi and me. xx woof!

Counters


View My Stats