Monday, December 03, 2007

OLIVE ALLA WELSHCAKES



I have shown you how olives straight from the tree are prepared here and also, some time ago, posted my friend Concetta' s olive recipe. Now here is an olive recipe which I have made up myself and which I use to flavour cured but unstoned black olives:

Put a little balsamic vinegar and just a drizzle of olive oil [because you don't want it to solidify in the fridge] into a bowl. Add the olives, a goodly pinch of coarse seasalt [I think wet Sicilian seasalt is best, but then, I am biased] a slice or two of deseeded red chilli pepper, some fennel seeds, sprigs of young, fresh thyme, a bayleaf and some dried origano. Squeeze a little lemon juice over then mix it all up with a teaspoon. Add a slice of lemon to garnish. You can eat these immediately or they will keep, covered with clingfilm, for two weeks or so in the fridge.

12 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Commissario Montalbano would definitively follow his nose . . . :)

Leslie: said...

Unfortunately, I'm not a connoisseur of olives. But I can imagine how good they'd be for others what with all those lovely spices.

Gledwood said...

You know when olives have been prest for the oil and represt to get "pomace" (is that right?) etc etc... what happens to the resulting olive mush? Is it just thrown away? Can you use the fibres to make clothes or paper?

Crushed said...

I actually LOVE olives. Never had them fresh, though.
Mmmmmmmmmmm.

jmb said...

Oh I see that Leslie, another Italophile, does not like olives either. I always feel embarrassed when I say that.
I'm sure these are delicious Welshcakes, for those who live olives.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

oh Yum Welshcakes, this I will definitely try...ta

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Delicious. They would be great in Pasta Puttanesca, (tarts spaghetti)

Beaman said...

You have been award a Roar!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Sean. Quite handsome, that Montalbano fellow, on TV! Hi, Leslie. I think people either love ot hate olives! Hi, Gleds. I'll try to find out what happens to the mush. Hi, Crushed. An olive that has been cured and flavoured recently is a taste sensation! No need to feel embarrassed, jmb - "to each his / her own". Thanks, Abbey and MM. Thank you, Beaman - coming right over!

Ellee Seymour said...

My tummy is rumbling right now, wish I could pop round for a taste of this, I love olives. And good sea salt always makes a difference.

It's fish and chips for us tonight, btw.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee. and you'd be very welcome. I'd be unable to eat the fish but equally unable to resist the chips!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, DD> I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know that.

Counters


View My Stats