Monday, March 12, 2007

PERSEPHONE'S WEATHER




It has been raining incessantly for four days and some areas of Modica have been flooded.

Persephone [Core / Kora], daughter of Zeus and Demeter [Ceres], was abducted by Hades [Aidoneus / Pluto] whilst gathering flowers at Enna*. Demeter's grief for her daughter knew no bounds and she wandered the earth trying to find her, neglecting her duties as goddess of corn and so causing a worldwide famine. Zeus, forced to intervene, persuaded Hades to allow Persephone to return from the underworld, but she was tricked into eating some pomegranate seeds, the "food of the dead". [According to Robert Graves in The Greek Myths, there was an ancient taboo on red-coloured food.] This precluded Persephone's return to earth. Sources vary in their accounts of how many seeds she ate - Homer says one, Graves seven, Tennyson assumes three, other sources six - but it was agreed that Persephone would spend a month with Hades for each one. Let us believe, for the sake of the story, that it was three or four. Thus Persephone spends the winter months with her husband, returning to earth and Demeter for the spring. I like to think that, this year, as well as bringing about new growth, she has brought the much-needed rain for the crops with her. For Persephone [lucky girl] had received Sicily as a wedding present, so it is only fitting that she should take special care of it.
I'm not very good on the Greek myths and I get confused between the Greek and Roman names for the gods. No doubt the learned Gracchi will be able to correct any errors here.
Above you see our magnificent drainage system - this in an area which has a water shortage!
* The Sicilians, and I, believe it was at Enna. It could have been almost anywhere in the Greek world.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful wedding present, and yes, do enjoy the rain while it lasts, we have had glorious sunshine in the UK, not a cloud in the sky.


My name derives from Greek mythology, it's a lovely story, I must post on it one day.

jmb said...

So necessary but you can go from not enough to too much in a flash. Rain, that is. I remember the lack of rivers in Sicily and poor little things they were. At least when I was there.
Lovely story, I didn't know she got Sicily for a wedding present.
Regards
jmb

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the folks there are glad for the rain.

Liz Hinds said...

You could be back in Wales with all that rain!

James Higham said...

Ah, Persephone's tears. Don't drown in them.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee. Not a bad presie, was it? Do post on the origin of your name - it sounds a fascinating story! Hi, jmb. Yes, that's the trouble here - nothing by halves! - but maybe that's why it suits me.... Steve,yes, I believe they are. Liz, yes, it does make me feel kind of at home! James, I'm trying not to!

Lee said...

It's been showering on and off all day here today. I love the rain and wish it would set in for a few days...then I can lock-up indoors, write and read without feeling guilty!

Saving and storing water seems to be a world-wide problem. South-east Queensland (not up here on the mountain, fortunately) are suffering severe water shortages and very tight restrictions are in place, with more coming if the dams service the area don't get rain very soon.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. I love the rain when I don't have to go out in it, too! Mind you, at night here, you'd think the rain was INSIDE - it makes such a noise because of the way the buildings are.

Counters


View My Stats