Friday, November 20, 2015

PLUS ÇA CHANGE....

So after visiting the UK for the first time in eight years, what changes did I note? I tend to notice weird, often insignificant things, so here are my weird observations, in no particular order:




  • Handbags are still on the small side.
  • Eateries are noisier than Italian ones but at least they are free of the ubiquitous televisions you find in the latter.
  • Why did I get a separate "glass of ice" every time I asked for ice in my mineral water?
  • There is a craze for sweet potato chips.
  • Halloween has become a more pleasant festival than I remembered.
  • When did people start saying "See you later" to mean "soon/sometime/never"?
  • I was interested to see what kind of shops have survived the recession and was surprised to find several novelty shops in the centre of Cardiff still there.
  • I was negatively flabbergasted at the cost of public transport and positively so at its efficiency [after 10 years in Modica].
  • I was relieved that most people I talked to were more sympathetic to refugees than when I left and than the media would lead one to believe now. I was also relieved that most people I met did not think the UK will leave the EU.


Et plus ça ne change pas.....

As a post scriptum on my trip home, here is a note to Comiso Airport, a clean and efficient facility that we are justly proud of in these parts:  I know Sicilians don't like to be comfortable, but the rest of the world does, so please can we have some seating outside the airport? Weary travellers waiting to be picked up after you close need somewhere to sit!


7 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Eight years? I thought I was the only one who returned back home so seldom. I like how certain things struck you, as in the "small handbags."
I get my news of Italy mostly through blogs these days. So glad of your reportage, btw.

Jenny Woolf said...

It is funny how little things can strike us. I have noticed that gift shops seem to do really well. I don't know why, most houses I go into aren't crammed to the gunwales with ornaments, but someone must keep buying them!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, Rosaria. Yes, it's been a long time!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's probably me, Jenny!

Gledwood said...

I always ask for no ice because they use it as an excuse to give you as little drink as possible~! Good on you for not coming back. I'm going to leave the UK one day and I don't know if I'll EVER come back!!!

Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad you had such a good trip and that Bertie was well looked after in your absence.

I'm trying to remember which airport I was in recently that was very poor on seating in inside. I think it may have been Kuala Lumpur.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Gleds. Nowhere's a paradise, you know and you do start to see your own country in a different way when you live away from it for a long time. Thanks, Liz. I'll tell Comiso!

Counters


View My Stats