Friday, January 25, 2013

GOING, GOING, [NEARLY] GONE...

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it a Dalek gone wrong?" All of these thoughts and more went through my mind when I first saw the Christmas art installation on Modica Bassa's [non - functioning] fountain in Piazza Rizzone.  Then someone told me it was a comet. Silly me.

Image:  Corriere di Ragusa


The "comet", by Modican artist Angelo Ruta, has caused almost as much bewilderment, since it appeared, as the biblical one, and also a fair amount of controversy:  there are those who think it is a fine artistic specimen and others who criticise it for being unorganic and completely out of tune with its surroundings [which consist mainly of traffic].  

No one seemed to know if it was going to be there forever but yesterday all doubt was removed when the local Councillor for Culture announced that it is definitely temporary and will be leaving us after January 30th. However, as the temporary has a curious habit of becoming permanent and vice-versa in Sicily, I am not so sure about that and am waiting for a sign....

2 comments:

Lee said...

Let's hope it is temporary...it doesn't look very appealing...to me, anyway.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I hope so too, Lee.

Counters


View My Stats