Tuesday, October 04, 2011

IN SUPPORT OF WIKIPEDIA ITALIA

Tutti hanno diritto di manifestare liberamente il proprio pensiero con la parola, lo scritto e ogni altro mezzo di diffusione.
- Costituzione della Repubblica Italiana, Articolo 21

Anyone has the right to freely express their thoughts in speech, writing, or any other form of communication.
- Constitution of the Italian Republic, Article 21

This blog often links or refers to Wikipedia entries in both Italian and English and this openly editable, free, online encyclopedia is usually my first source for research.  I was, therefore, horrified to learn, today, that Wikipedia Italia may be under threat from the provisions of a new law which is being proposed in Italy:

Under the Intercettazioni, or "Wiretapping Act", any website which offends someone in Italy, intentionally or unintentionally, will be forced to retract and "correct" the offending words within 48 hours of receipt of a complaint.  No independent evaluation of any complaint will be necessary.

The users of Wikipedia Italia feel, rightly, that the proposed Act is a threat to the independence and neutrality of their project and I urge you to read their full statement here.  If the law is passed unamended, many blogs may be silenced as well.

Come on, Italy! I love you dearly but censorship is the weapon of those who are afraid.

UPDATE: 6.10.11 at 01.20:  There has now been an amendment [subject to a vote] to the proposed Bill and the retraction and correction provisions will not now apply to ordinary blogs.  However, at the time of writing it seems that they will still apply to registered newspapers and periodicals online and certain other professional sites.  The other provisions of the Act stand.

9 comments:

Beyond Survivor said...

Well said!!

You have my full support.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Much appreciated, Jan.

jams o donnell said...

It's a ridiculous move

J. M. P. said...

It must be a joke! How can this possibly happen? Wikipedia is doing a great work and I hope someone will write there an entry on this Intercettazioni.

Rowena said...

I just read the wikipedia page myself and am disgusted by the whole thing. Honestly, may as well live in China (and I assure you that it has nothing to do with large presence of chinese nationals living in this country) if this goes through. Censorship in a country where tits and ass run rampant on television.

Cuby said...

That sounds a worrying direction as freedom should not be censored. I too refer to Wiki regularly. I am with you on this one.

LindyLouMac said...

I must admit I also find Wikipedia useful.

Thankyou for your recent lovely comment on News From Italy. Take Care and have a lovely Autumn my friend, i will be back in November.

James Higham said...

It's a hallmark of the Statists we've been fighting for years on our blogs but some have seen fit to say we were imagining. Now it's coming home to roost.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It certainly is, Jan. No, and worrying, Rosaria. I wish it was a joke, Josep! I agree - Wiki is a great project. Hi, Rowena. Yes,incongruous indeed. Freedom is just being chipped away at.
Thanks, cuby. Very worrying indeed. Hi, LindyLouMac. I shall miss you. x
Hi, James. Yes, they've tried this before and now it looks as though thy are going to get away with it - or some of the proposals.

UPDATE: THERE HAS BEEN AN AMENDMENT TODAY AND IT NOW SEEMS THAT THIS MEASURE WILL NOT BE MADE TO APPLY TO ORDINARY BLOGGERS. BUT IT IS STILL A THREAT TO FREE SPEECH AND WILL AFFECT THOUSANDS OF SITES.

Counters


View My Stats