Monday, February 21, 2011

ARRIVEDERCI TRINACRIA?


The Trinacria or Triskelion has long been a symbol of Sicily and has featured on the island's flag since 1282.  Most Sicilians believe that the shape represents the three points of the island and the symbol appears on numerous ceramics and other souvenirs.  Now, however, its days on the flag may be numbered, as Sandro Oliveri, the Leader of Palermo Town Council, is to ask the Governor of Sicily to sign a decree which would enable the symbol's removal.  Mr Oliveri and a group of citizens supporting him believe that the symbol is inappropriate, as it is based on mythology rather than Christianity.  They also point out that it is not unique to Sicily, as it features on other flags, most notably, of course, that of the Isle of Man.

Personally I would be sorry to see the Trinacria go and talk of "purification" and "Christianisation"  always worries me, as history shows that "Christianisation" can lead to some very unchristian acts.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That seems ridiculous and i too hope this law does not pass. I personally love the symbolism!

LindyLouMac said...

A sad sign of the times and why should it matter that it is not unique I wonder?

Patricia said...

Oh, I hope they do not do this! I like the Trinacria and it has been a part of Sicilian lore sinice the time of the Sikils. Maybe it will turn out to just be talk and no action!

James Higham said...

And why legs?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lost. Me, too. I don't know, LindyLouMac. I hope you're right, Patricia. Hi, James. Goes back to the symbol's Greek name and it's meant to represent perpetual forward motion.

Rosaria Williams said...

I'm with you! One cannot erase or change history.

Marian said...

The fact that the symbol is based in ancient mythology,rather than the more modern christianity,is precisely what makes it interesting and important. Leave it to a politician to come up with another absurd idea.

Louise | Italy said...

Oh I do wish people would leave things alone!

Whispering Walls said...

We need to preserve Celtic traditions! Btw they're saying on the news that Italy will get many more immigrants from Libya

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree with you all, Rosaria, Matrian and Louise. Hi, WW. Yes, it is already happening.

Mike Bonfanti said...

I love the Sicilian flag just the way it is! I hope it is only bluster.

By the way, love your blog! My family came to the US from Sicily (Pachino and Pietraperzia). I would love to visit some day!

Mike

Counters


View My Stats