Saturday, June 27, 2009

TO MARKET, TO MARKET - 2

Thursday is market day in Modica and this week, as ever, everything you could think of was on sale. The local traders certainly have their work cut out , trying to compete with cheaper Chinese goods, and this was reflected in some of their cries: "Fatti in Italia - non andate dai Cinesi!" ["Made in Italy - don't go to the Chinese stalls!"]



Need some towels?



Or perhaps you'd like to sort through this lot to find some fine material for your sewing?



This stall was selling local honey, dried oregano in large bunches and all the pulses you could imagine. "Non fai di lui o viene brutto" ["Don't take one of him or it will turn out ugly"] said the stall holder of his assistant [pictured] when I asked if I could take a photo. I think he looks rather jolly myself.



Want to buy large quantities of fruit and vegetables at a good price? This is the place to come!




I bought a pair of cotton trousers and some outrageous earrings.

10 comments:

Alex the Blogging Kat said...

Tank U, Simi n Welshcakes Limoncello, fir ur vizit 2 MY bloggie tingie. OK? Simi, I makez U one ob MY woofie doggie frenz. OK?

James Higham said...

Actually, I desperately need towels.

jams o donnell said...

Wow there's no pre packaged goods there!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Simi says: "Hello, Alex, I think you're a very clever cat. I'd like to be your woofy friend!"
Hi, James. Come and get 'em!
Hi, jams. You know, I never thought about that!

Alex the Blogging Kat said...

Tank u, Simi! U iz a beery nice woofie doggie fwend. OK?

CherryPie said...

There are some lovely bright colours on those stalls :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Cherie. Yes, it is rather colourful!

pita-woman said...

Are those robes that compliment the towels in color?
I can't imagine digging through a pile of fabric on the ground! But I can see where shopping from venodrs in such a manner might be fun (for a change of pace, wouldn't want to do it that way all the time).

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

"Hi, Alex. You are a very nice puddy-cat friend, too!"
Hi, Pita-woman. Yes, robes. It's fun but I wouldn't want to shop that way all the time either!

jmb said...

I totally get food in a market but the clothing always amazes me and shoes. I mean things you need to try on.

Still it's a colourful place.

Counters


View My Stats