Monday, November 01, 2010

I CARI DEFUNTI

When houses are silent and all are fast asleep tonight, so Italian children believe, the cari defunti or beloved departed of their families will once again become their mortal selves and will come into the bedrooms of their loved ones, kiss them and see that they are tucked in cosily.  Then they will hide some gifts for the children to find tomorrow morning.  In Sicily, frutta di Martorana or mazipan fruit will be among the gifts.



Later tomorrow families will visit their local cemeteries to give thanks for the generosity of their departed relatives and there they will light red votive candles and even sit down for a picnic among the tombs, for this festival, particularly dear to Sicilians, has two purposes:  to remember the dead and to teach children that death is part of life.

2 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

Did you dream of the dead? I think I did!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think I did too, WW!

Counters


View My Stats