Friday, July 25, 2008

SICILY QUIZ - 6

The objects in last night's post are called cavagne and they were used as containers for freshly-made ricotta so that mice could not get at the cheese. [A mettle lid would be screwed onto the bottom of the filled containers.]

Here is this evening's quiz:

T- - - - - - . The sweetest melons come from this province.

R Punta - - - - - , Palermo's airport.

A- - - - - , the month when everything stops or closes, causing this blogger to despair. It is the "silly season" in Sicily!

P- - - - - - - - - - . The best salted capers come from here.

A- - - - - - - - - , small town in Messina province whose name means "sweet waters".

N Pasta alla - - - - - , a Catania dish inspired by one of Bellini's operas.

I- - Hamdis, Sicilian Arab poet who was forced into exile after the Norman conquest of Sicily.

Highlight below for answers:


Trapani; Raisi; agosto/August; Pantelleria; Acquedolci; Norma; Ibn

4 comments:

CherryPie said...

I have slipped back into my old ways of not scoring very well.

James Higham said...

Cherie - you and me both. I didn't even get one right. Well, maybe one. Fiendishly difficult this time, Welshcakes.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

1....is Trapani

3....is certainly August and it is not just Sicily it happens in. It is in Italy and France as well. Everyone takes a holiday!!

4....is an island off the coast of Sicily but don't no the name.

6....is Pasta alla NORMA..with aubergines(egg plant)..garlic, tomatoes Basil and ricotta and spaghetti....I know because I remember WL post about this ages and ages ago...and by reading lots of other Italian blogs...I love it..make it quite a lot..especially when on my own, make the sauce and use it for the next day aswell.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for having a go, cherrypie.
I am a fiendish woman, James! Very well done, anne.

Counters


View My Stats