Thursday, October 16, 2014

TRAVELS WITH MY SISTER

I'm going to tell you the story of my reunion with my birth sister, Jill, little by little in several posts but first I want to share with you some of the things we did together over the past seven days.

We spent time at the Marina di Modica



and, as you see, I've got me a lovely brother-in-law as well!


We went for an evening walk in Ragusa Ibla with friends,


sat in the park


and ate ice cream in a crepe!


I must say, as we walked through the narrow, softly-lit streets, I felt completely surrounded by love and I hadn't felt like that for a long time.

On Sunday we took a guided tour around Catania. There is always something new to learn from a good guide and the city looked particularly elegant in the October sunshine:






Later, it was on to Militello in Val di Catania for the Sagra della Mostarda e del Fico d'India or Mostarda [made with prickly pears] and Prickly Pear Festival, where the highlight of the afternoon was the parade of Sicilian carts:






This last horse danced to the traditional music and was definitely the star of the show!


When I visited Militello for the same festival four years ago, I never imagined I'd be back there with my sister!

Then suddenly it was Wednesday, Jill and Paul's last full day in Sicily. We decided to spend most of it in Siracusa, for how could I let them go without taking them first to the magnificent Greek amphitheatre there?

The Roman Amphitheatre, Siracusa:



Sisters:

The Greek Amphitheatre, Siracusa:


The Ear of Dionysus, Siracusa:



We had fun calling to each other in the echoing cave where the tyrant Dionysus reportedly imprisoned dissidents and eavesdropped on them. 

Jill and Paul are safely home now and they have promised to come back to Sicily soon. I hope so because I'm already missing my wonderful, newfound sister!

8 comments:

Betty said...

I hope you get to spend a lot more time with Jill and her husband. Sounds like you had a wonderful time together playing catch up. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Unknown said...

What a lovely story. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how you found each other! :-)

Trubes said...

I am so happy for you all including bro'in law...He looks very proud of the two ladies that his arms surround,
just too wonderful for words.
It was enjoyable looking at the photo's too.
Can't wait for the next instalment.

It was so moving when you said, 'I felt completely surrounded by love and I hadn't felt like that for a long time'.

You both seem to similar taste in style and colour.

Love to you and darling Sims from Di and Chloe cat ... xxxx purr purr xx

James Higham said...

That's absolutely lovely for you - bet you pulled out all stops in the kitchen beforehand. :)

Rosaria Williams said...

Thanks for taking us along. I can only imagine your state of mind.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Betty. Yes, we had a great time! Thank you, Anneka. Thanks, Trubes. That is exactly how I felt so I decided to say it. We do seem to have similar style tastes. Isn't it strange? Love to all of you too and waggiewoofs. xx Thank you, James - did my best! Thank you, Rosaria.

Lee said...

Aha! A bonus...a brother-in-law as well! Good for you! How's Simi taking to all these new family members? :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. Oh, Simi is very happy to have a new auntie and uncle!

Counters


View My Stats